Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Compare » [EMF Compare] Comparing ecore files
[EMF Compare] Comparing ecore files [message #1731986] Wed, 11 May 2016 12:48 Go to next message
Chacho Miguer is currently offline Chacho MiguerFriend
Hi,

I'm using EMF Compare to compare some files automatically, by the time they are downloaded from a repository. I want to program it using Java and obtain the same result I would obtain by clicking on "compare with each other" (as shown here) when using the EMF Compare Eclipse plugin.

I suspect it would be easy to do so if I could get a way to display a window (such as this) with the results of the XML file obtained when saving the comparison (by clicking the ninth button shown here), but I've not found that answer neither on the Internet nor this forum.

Does anybody of you know if there's a way to do it?

Thanks a lot.
Re: [EMF Compare] Comparing ecore files [message #1732583 is a reply to message #1731986] Wed, 18 May 2016 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laurent Goubet is currently offline Laurent GoubetFriend
Hi,

Have you tried the steps outlined on the FAQ entry ro open a compare editor? Was it not what you were trying to achieve?

Laurent Goubet
Obeo

[Updated on: Wed, 18 May 2016 04:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [EMF Compare] Comparing ecore files [message #1733340 is a reply to message #1732583] Thu, 26 May 2016 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Laurent,

Yes, I've tried them, but I quit trying because I was told that those steps where helpful only if I were programming some sort of plugin for eclipse.

The problem is that it's not my purpouse to do so. I would like to create a Java app that compares some files and then displays them into a Compare Editor Window or something like that. I'm guessing that's not possible without Eclipse. Am I right?

Thanks for answering, and sorry about writing back so late Embarrassed .
Re: [EMF Compare] Comparing ecore files [message #1733407 is a reply to message #1733340] Fri, 27 May 2016 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laurent Goubet is currently offline Laurent GoubetFriend
Hi,

It is very possible to use EMF Compare in standalone app (outside of Eclipse) and compare your models programmatically instead of trying to save the result of a comparison made in Eclipse and reopen that. Please see the list of mandatory dependencies to use EMF Compare in standalone as well as how to programmatically do a comparison. However, you will have to re-code an UI to display the comparison yourself, since we don't have that in EMF Compare (the UI is provided by the eclipse platform and is not available for standalone).

The result of a comparison will be an EMF model, so what you'll have to do for your custom UI is to display that model. The facilities of EMF.edit (implemented in our case in org.eclipse.emf.compare.edit) should help you for that. I'll be able to answer specific questions, but "recoding an editor" is a little too broad a question so can't really help there:).

Laurent Goubet
Obeo
Re: [EMF Compare] Comparing ecore files [message #1733744 is a reply to message #1733407] Tue, 31 May 2016 10:55 Go to previous message
Hi,

Thanks a lot, I'll give it a try.
Previous Topic:Complicated emf model and history
Next Topic:different xml file in different model but under the same folder
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:05:30 GMT 2024