Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Simple mode installer broken with Neon(Package content definition was moved from feature to product)
Simple mode installer broken with Neon [message #1730338] Mon, 25 April 2016 08:05 Go to next message
Jeremie Bresson is currently offline Jeremie BressonFriend
Messages: 1252
Registered: October 2011
Senior Member
Hi,

I have the feeling that the installation of a product (for example with the Installer in the simple mode) is broken with Neon.M6.

In my opinion the Product definition in the Oomph catalog is no longer enough after the change decided with Bug 332989 comment 19.

Quote:
The changes itself are just a restructuring, i.e. a simple move of the dependencies from the package feature up to the product itself, and in the product they are now 'root' features which can have their own lifecycle, i.e. they can be updated independently and/or removed.


Take the "Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers" definition in the Oomph catalog:
index.php/fa/25760/0/

Content is:
* "epp.package.jee"
* "org.eclipse.jdt.feature.group"
* "org.eclipse.pde.feature.group"
* "org.eclipse.platform.feature.group"
* "org.eclipse.rcp.feature.group"

My understanding from the Change 67004 is that the Feature "org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.feature" is now empty.

Can someone confirm this?
Re: Simple mode installer broken with Neon [message #1730348 is a reply to message #1730338] Mon, 25 April 2016 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Messages: 30992
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Jeremie,

Comments below.

On 25.04.2016 10:05, Jeremie Bresson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the feeling that the installation of a product (for example with the Installer in the simple mode) is broken with Neon.M6.
>
> In my opinion the Product definition in the Oomph catalog is no longer enough after the change decided with https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=332989#c19.
At a brief glance, yes that could change the root IUs that we need to
specify. And a while back, with all my travel, we change the generator
to simply point at the composite so we'd not need to regenerate after
each change to the p2 update sites (because it's quite a bit of
coordination). That being said, I don't see this reflected in the
actual metadata in the m6 repository...
>
> Quote:
>> The changes itself are just a restructuring, i.e. a simple move of the dependencies from the package feature up to the product itself, and in the product they are now 'root' features which can have their own lifecycle, i.e. they can be updated independently and/or removed.
>
> Take the "Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers" definition in the Oomph catalog:
>
>
> Content is:
> * "epp.package.jee"
> * "org.eclipse.jdt.feature.group"
> * "org.eclipse.pde.feature.group"
> * "org.eclipse.platform.feature.group"
> * "org.eclipse.rcp.feature.group"
>
> My understanding from the https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/67004/ is that the Feature "org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.feature" is now empty.
>
> Can someone confirm this?
Well, epp.package.jee is not the same IU as
org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.feature.feature.group, so while the latter
has apparently changed, I don't know that this affects the former. Is
there an actual problem installing or updating Neon?
Re: Simple mode installer broken with Neon [message #1730383 is a reply to message #1730348] Mon, 25 April 2016 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeremie Bresson is currently offline Jeremie BressonFriend
Messages: 1252
Registered: October 2011
Senior Member
Hi Ed,

Thank you for your quick answer.

It looks to me that the Neon IDE setup with Oomph are almost Empty.

To reproduce in the advanced mode:

* Select a product on step 1 (I have tried with "Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers" or "Eclipse for Scout Developers")
* Select the version "Neon". I guess it also works with "Latest (Neon)".
* On Step 2 select no projects
* Finish the Installation wizard.

The Eclipse you get is empty in comparison to the EPP you can get from the download page.
Please find attached a comparison between the "Installation Details" outputs (I have restricted it to the "Features" and the "Plug-in Registry" sections):
- Left: Oomph Setup
- Right: EPP Zip
Re: Simple mode installer broken with Neon [message #1730392 is a reply to message #1730383] Mon, 25 April 2016 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Messages: 30992
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Jeremie,

You're right. It does come up, but there are things missing. E.g.,
EGit for the committers package. Please open a bugzilla.


On 25.04.2016 13:25, Jeremie Bresson wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
> Thank you for your quick answer.
>
> It looks to me that the Neon IDE setup with Oomph are almost Empty.
>
> To reproduce in the advanced mode:
>
> * Select a product on step 1 (I have tried with "Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers" or "Eclipse for Scout Developers")
> * Select the version "Neon". I guess it also works with "Latest (Neon)".
> * On Step 2 select no projects
> * Finish the Installation wizard.
>
> The Eclipse you get is empty in comparison to the EPP you can get from the download page.
> Please find attached a comparison between the "Installation Details" outputs (I have restricted it to the "Features" and the "Plug-in Registry" sections):
> - Left: Oomph Setup
> - Right: EPP Zip
Re: Simple mode installer broken with Neon [message #1730446 is a reply to message #1730392] Mon, 25 April 2016 20:32 Go to previous message
Jeremie Bresson is currently offline Jeremie BressonFriend
Messages: 1252
Registered: October 2011
Senior Member
Thank you for your investigation. I have opened a Bugzilla:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=492398
Previous Topic:Setup task execution on re-start
Next Topic:Code formatter profile not used
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Mar 28 21:26:31 GMT 2020

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.03152 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top