Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » GDB Hardware Debugging does not Suspend(Pressing suspend does not halt the running embedded application.)
GDB Hardware Debugging does not Suspend [message #1729888] Wed, 20 April 2016 03:40
Chris Johns is currently offline Chris JohnsFriend
Hi,

I am using Eclipse Mars to debug an RTEMS (https://www.rtems.org) application running on a PC. I am using the C/C++ GDB Hardware Debugging software (8.8.1.2016020510c) that Eclipse installed for me.

The Debugger configuration is User remote target:checked, JTAG device:Generic TCP/IP, a valid host name and port, only load symbols.

The physical configuration is:
- i7 PC, legacy BIOS, PXE loading iPXE which loads the multiboot RTEMS kernel.
- RTEMS executes until the GDB set up and then waits on a forced break point.
- the serial debug stub in the RTEMS kernel connects to a serial/USB device and that to ser2net set up in raw mode.

The end result is a TCP connection to the host running ser2net gives a standard remote GDB connection and this means the standard gdb 'target remote' command just works.

I can connect, step, set break points and do all the normal things you expect however if I run then press 'Suspend' the suspend icon goes away and only the Terminate icon is left. Pressing terminate causes that to go away however the gdb instance Eclipse started is still running (and waiting on IO in poll).

Testing the same gdb set up from the command line allows me to press ^C to halt the target.

I captured the TCP session between the Eclipse GDB and the serial port server and there was no traffic from GDB after the Resume's continue was sent to the target.

It would be nice to understand why this is happening and now I can resolve it.

Thanks
Chris
Previous Topic:How to turn off hard tabs?
Next Topic:Problems linking dynamic libraries in Mac OSX
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 11:22:01 GMT 2024