Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF Parsley » Any plan for a JavaFx implementation ?
Any plan for a JavaFx implementation ? [message #1724330] Tue, 23 February 2016 08:34 Go to next message
Vincent Hemery is currently offline Vincent HemeryFriend
Hello,

I have just discovered EMF Parsley and read the documentation.
From what I have perceived so far, it looks like it provides UI based on JFace only (or RAP, which implementation is quite similar).

Is there any plan to support in the near or distant feature to support the production of JavaFX based components ? (I mean native JavaFX, I already know that it is possible to integrate a SWT part in JavaFX)
I guess you have already though about the possibility of different renderers and must have separated renderer specific stuff if it were possible...

Thanks for your answers.
Vincent.
Re: Any plan for a JavaFx implementation ? [message #1724407 is a reply to message #1724330] Tue, 23 February 2016 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aurel pestell is currently offline aurel pestellFriend
Vincent, same here, i would be very interested in a JavaFX support !
Re: Any plan for a JavaFx implementation ? [message #1724511 is a reply to message #1724407] Wed, 24 February 2016 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Krisztian Koncz is currently offline Krisztian KonczFriend

+1
Re: Any plan for a JavaFx implementation ? [message #1724631 is a reply to message #1724511] Wed, 24 February 2016 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vincenzo Caselli is currently offline Vincenzo CaselliFriend

Hi Vincent, Aurel, Krisztian,
wow, it seems this one is a really needed feature.
The good news is that recently we have indeed decoupled the UI and the Core parts of EMF Parsley.
You can know more details watching our latest EclipseCon talk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLy7t4z5SYNaR0yp9EQ9txQhO-JgCLJAga&v=NOt0YywP5nQ
(from about min 22:00 for this specific feature)
In this case we use the Parsley Core inside a JEE Servlet (so in a pure Java environment) and provide a JSON communication with virtually every kind of client (we made implementations for a traditional web UI in AngularJS, GWT, but also mobile, both native Android and hybrid). So in practice we allow a communication between two tiers: a generic UI and Parsley core.

What you are asking is indeed something easier because in the case you are referring there's no need to use a cross-communication protocol (like JSON); basically both ends are in the same Java instance.
In the end you can use the Parsley Core API and get data along with UI customization info (both following the Parsley customizations) that can be used to render the UI.
The cons are that the specific basics UI parts must be set up in the specific language and that some mechanisms like UI databindig, listeners, drag&drop, etc... are not included as in SWT or RAP.

You can see an example of EMF Parsley core API usage here:
http://git.eclipse.org/c/emf-parsley/org.eclipse.emf-parsley.git/tree/plugins/org.eclipse.emf.parsley.web.servlets/src/org/eclipse/emf/parsley/web/servlets/JsonTableServlet.java

So in the end: at present there is not available an out-of-the-box solution for JavaFx, but we are working to make EMF Parsley more and more decoupled from UIs.
We will keep this thread updated with further steps.

Cheers
Vincenzo

Re: Any plan for a JavaFx implementation ? [message #1724737 is a reply to message #1724631] Thu, 25 February 2016 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lorenzo Bettini is currently offline Lorenzo BettiniFriend
Hi

Things might even be easier since
https://www.eclipse.org/efxclipse/index.html seems to provide runtime
for "EMF Edit UI for JavaFX" :)

Vincent, or anyone else interested, please file a bug about this.

cheers
Lorenzo

--
Prof. Lorenzo Bettini, Computer Science, DISIA, Univ. Firenze
HOME: http://www.lorenzobettini.it
Xtext Book:
http://www.packtpub.com/implementing-domain-specific-languages-with-xtext-and-xtend/book

Re: Any plan for a JavaFx implementation ? [message #1724806 is a reply to message #1724737] Fri, 26 February 2016 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vincent Hemery is currently offline Vincent HemeryFriend
Thank you both for this precious information.
I didn't think about looking at e(fx)clipse, since I though there would be only "general" JavaFX support.
Having a very quick look at EMF Edit Support with e(fx)clipse, I don't think I'll need the EMF Parsley implementation for JavaFX. This e(fx)clipse feature looks like it simply does what it's expected to (and what I need it for).

For this reason I don't think it would be worth spending efforts in a JavaFX implementation for EMF Parsley to make something quite similar to what already exist in e(fx)clipse (unless it gets deprecated).

This said, that does not mean I don't think EMF Parsley is great. But why using a Multi-tools knife when you only need the screwdriver and have it alongside?

Keep up the good work and rest assured I will look again in EMF Parsley when I need another rendering technology.
Re: Any plan for a JavaFx implementation ? [message #1860569 is a reply to message #1724631] Thu, 17 August 2023 14:14 Go to previous message
Yue Yang is currently offline Yue YangFriend
Hi, Vincent! Is there example code for mobile clients? I'm interested.
Previous Topic:problem with parsley RAP CDO example
Next Topic:how to make a ComboView not selectable
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 22:03:31 GMT 2024