Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » symlinked sources(eclipse handles source file accessed through symlink as separate files)
symlinked sources [message #1723850] Thu, 18 February 2016 13:32 Go to next message
Joachim Ullrich is currently offline Joachim UllrichFriend
I use eclipse Mars Release (4.5.0) with CDT Version: 8.7.0.201506070905

I am looking for a solution for the following problem:
the project contains source files which are accessed through symbolic links from several
folders.
a) When searching for symbols, the search results show hits for each symlink which points to the source containing the searched item.
Preferred behavior would be: only one hit for the source under the real path is shown

b) when opening the file from search results (or project explorer) which is a symbolic link, a new editor window is opened even if the file from the real path is opened already.
Preferred behavior: when opening a symlinked file, the file under the real path is opened or if already opened the editor window of that file gets focus (like reopening a real file)

I didn't find a solution for that so far.
Re: symlinked sources [message #1724002 is a reply to message #1723850] Fri, 19 February 2016 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
I can't offer much help, however these issues are not CDT specific, so you may find additional help in a wider set of Eclipse forums.

It may also help other readers if you specify if you are referring to Symbolic Links as provided by Linux type file systems or file links provided by the Eclipse mechanism. It is likely that the solution in either case is different.
Re: symlinked sources [message #1724064 is a reply to message #1724002] Sat, 20 February 2016 13:58 Go to previous message
David VavraFriend
FWIW: I tried this with Linux & MARS.1 (4.5.1) by adding a link to a file external to the project and it didn't treat it any differently. Clicking on a search or reopening the file from Project Explorer when already open took me to the proper edit tab.

I can't test with Windows at this time. Windows (if that's what you are using) also has hard and soft links. If one type doesn't work perhaps the other will,
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

[Updated on: Sat, 20 February 2016 13:59]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:No rule to make target 'all'. Stop.
Next Topic:Cross compilation (from Linux redhat to Windows) of an existing project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 13:05:22 GMT 2024