Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Any way to configure an Eclipse test instance so it can install plugins normally?
Any way to configure an Eclipse test instance so it can install plugins normally? [message #1723452] Mon, 15 February 2016 18:15 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I've got a current blocking problem with installing from a locally-built update site, but that's a different problem (although I sure could use some advice on it: https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/1074669/).

Because of that problem, I'm trying to set up a demo that will run from an Eclipse test instance (launch config). With the test instance, I have no trouble exercising the plugin that I'm working on, but I also want to be able to install one or two third-party plugins into that test instance.

When I attempt to install a third-party plugin in the test instance, it says "This installation has not been configured properly for Software Updates". It would be nice if I could get around this somehow, but only if the effort required is relatively small.
Re: Any way to configure an Eclipse test instance so it can install plugins normally? [message #1723611 is a reply to message #1723452] Tue, 16 February 2016 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
From your Launch Configuration > Configuration > Software Installation and tick 'Support software installation in the launched application'. That enables some base p2-related stuff.

Brian.
Re: Any way to configure an Eclipse test instance so it can install plugins normally? [message #1723614 is a reply to message #1723611] Tue, 16 February 2016 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks. That resolved that problem, as far as it goes. I had other problems with the plugins I tried to install, but I'm guessing those issues have nothing to do with this.
Re: Any way to configure an Eclipse test instance so it can install plugins normally? [message #1723770 is a reply to message #1723452] Wed, 17 February 2016 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
Quote:
When I attempt to install a third-party plugin in the test instance, it says "This installation has not been configured properly for Software Updates". It would be nice if I could get around this somehow, but only if the effort required is relatively small.

In addition to Brian's answer, the other way to get plug-ins in the test instance is to add those plug-ins to your target platform. The advantage of using the target platform is you don't have to reinstall them ever and if you are checking your target platform into source control then you can recreate the environment.
Re: Any way to configure an Eclipse test instance so it can install plugins normally? [message #1723772 is a reply to message #1723770] Wed, 17 February 2016 19:19 Go to previous message
Ok, good to know. In this case I was only doing this so I could enhance a recorded demo, so I wasn't intending to have those plugins installed as part of the actual project.
Previous Topic:Can't get Eclipse to listen for debugger connections
Next Topic:How to repair corrupted files in the $HOME/.p2 repo?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 04:49:38 GMT 2024