Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » /bin/sh: arm-elf-as: command not found
/bin/sh: arm-elf-as: command not found [message #1722934] Wed, 10 February 2016 11:11 Go to next message
Roslan Hristov is currently offline Roslan HristovFriend
Hello,

I have some issue with building an ARM demo code.
What i'm running is Eclise Helios with Zyling CDT, yagarto tools, OpenOCD 0.6.1, Cygwin
basically i downloaded Olimex OpenOCD Development Tools (which included all of the above) as i need to debug a SAM7-EX256 board.

After building the project i get the message - "/bin/sh: arm-elf-as: command not found"
I tried to google but couldn't find any solutions to this issue, also i'm running windows 7, all path environment's are added.
I can build simple stuff like "Hello World" without a problem.

Here's what i get when i try to build my source file for the ARM:

make -j all
Building file: ../MyNewEmpty.c
Building file: ../crt.asm
Invoking: Cygwin C Compiler
arm-elf-gcc -I"C:\Progra~1\yagarto\arm-elf\include" -I"C:\OlimexODS\examples\LIB_AT91SAM7" -I"C:\OlimexODS\examples\LIB_LCDGE8" -I"C:\OlimexODS\examples\LIB_SAM7EX256" -O0 -g3 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 -MMD -MP -MF"MyNewEmpty.d" -MT"MyNewEmpty.d" -o"MyNewEmpty.o" "../MyNewEmpty.c"
/bin/sh: arm-elf-gcc: command not found
Invoking: GCC Assembler
make: *** [MyNewEmpty.o] Error 127
arm-elf-as -o"crt.o" "../crt.asm"
subdir.mk:22: recipe for target 'MyNewEmpty.o' failed
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
subdir.mk:29: recipe for target 'crt.o' failed
/bin/sh: arm-elf-as: command not found
make: *** [crt.o] Error 127

If anyone can help me with this will be greatly appreciated !

Thank you.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 February 2016 11:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: /bin/sh: arm-elf-as: command not found [message #1722944 is a reply to message #1722934] Wed, 10 February 2016 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
You are missing the whole GCC compiler toolset, starting with arm-elf-gcc. Maybe the PATH is not set up to include it.

The GNU compiler set needs the compiler driver (gcc), preprocessor (cpp), compiler itself (cc1), assembler (as) and linker (ld). For bare-bones hardware targets you may need some utilities, like objcopy. The program names are often prepended with codes telling which configuration the toolset has.

The arm-elf-* toolset is pretty old, maybe your old Eclipse setup is no more compatible with the current compiler (probably arm-none-eabi-*).

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: /bin/sh: arm-elf-as: command not found [message #1722946 is a reply to message #1722944] Wed, 10 February 2016 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
Quote:
arm-none-eabi-*

A good option to get pre-built arm-non-eabi tools is from Launchpad: https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded

Even though often associated with Ubuntu (it is run by same company) there are Windows host pre-built binaries available.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 February 2016 12:35]

Re: /bin/sh: arm-elf-as: command not found [message #1722949 is a reply to message #1722944] Wed, 10 February 2016 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Wed, 10 February 2016 14:42]

Re: /bin/sh: arm-elf-as: command not found [message #1722961 is a reply to message #1722944] Wed, 10 February 2016 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
You are missing the whole GCC compiler toolset, starting with arm-elf-gcc. Maybe the PATH is not set up to include it.

The GNU compiler set needs the compiler driver (gcc), preprocessor (cpp), compiler itself (cc1), assembler (as) and linker (ld). For bare-bones hardware targets you may need some utilities, like objcopy. The program names are often prepended with codes telling which configuration the toolset has.

The arm-elf-* toolset is pretty old, maybe your old Eclipse setup is no more compatible with the current compiler (probably arm-none-eabi-*).

I think that my yagarto tools contain the arm-none-eabi-* ?
In my yagarto tool's there is a folder bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc (with other arm-none-eabi files)? Isn't that what i should try to include somehow ?

Also for the GCC compiler toolset i got Cygwin installed ?

Can you please give me more precise information because i'm totally new to this and i'm trying ot figure it out for a week now ... ;[

Thank you !

P.S.

I installed what John Graham suggested included it in my path variables as well but still doesnt work ...
This is how my PATH looks - C:\cygwin\bin;C:/Program Files (x86)/Java/jre1.8.0_72/bin/client;C:/Program Files (x86)/Java/jre1.8.0_72/bin;C:/Program Files (x86)/Java/jre1.8.0_72/lib/i386;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\OlimexODS\yagarto\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\GNU Tools ARM Embedded\5.2 2015q4\bin
Re: /bin/sh: arm-elf-as: command not found [message #1722969 is a reply to message #1722961] Wed, 10 February 2016 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you start your shell (cmd) and run arm-none-eabi-gcc --version, does that work?
Re: /bin/sh: arm-elf-as: command not found [message #1722971 is a reply to message #1722969] Wed, 10 February 2016 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can see the result in the attached image
  • Attachment: Untitled.png
    (Size: 128.91KB, Downloaded 541 times)
Re: /bin/sh: arm-elf-as: command not found [message #1722977 is a reply to message #1722971] Wed, 10 February 2016 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You did
cd <directory name>arm-none-eabi-gcc
. The problem with that is you ran cd (i.e. change directory) not gcc.

Re: /bin/sh: arm-elf-as: command not found [message #1722979 is a reply to message #1722977] Wed, 10 February 2016 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm sorry...
I ran it again please check, i hope that's correct now.
  • Attachment: Untitled.png
    (Size: 74.05KB, Downloaded 532 times)
Re: /bin/sh: arm-elf-as: command not found [message #1722983 is a reply to message #1722979] Wed, 10 February 2016 16:15 Go to previous message
A few comments:

1- You are still passing a full path to GCC, you said you updated the PATH so that it would work from the PATH, I am trying to have you test that by doing arm-none-eabi-gcc to see if it runs from the PATH without specifying full directory to gcc.
2- It was supposed to be --version, i.e. to get the version of gcc you are using, not very important as key thing was to see if gcc was found on the path
3- Please copy and paste console output into your message, pasting with
[code]terminal stuff here[/code]
around it to keep it fixed with font. This allows me to see the output without looking at the image and, more importantly, I can copy/paste the input/output.

Previous Topic:mismatch between lines in console and editor
Next Topic:Mars.1 project property/settings
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 24 05:00:18 GMT 2024