Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Titan » Migrating Titan to Windows
Migrating Titan to Windows [message #1722776] Tue, 09 February 2016 05:43 Go to next message
murli sharma is currently offline murli sharmaFriend
Hi,

Our SUT (System Under Test) runs on windows and Titan runs on Linux.
This causes inconvenience to us. So I'd like to migrate Titan to windows
and compile it with Visual C++.

Is it possible to get some guidence from you for this work item?
Also could you please let me know the estimated effort of doing the same?

Thanks
Re: Migrating Titan to Windows [message #1722789 is a reply to message #1722776] Tue, 09 February 2016 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Elemer Lelik is currently offline Elemer LelikFriend
Hi Murli,

Titan is built around Unix system calls, so directly compiling it on Windows will not work.
One either has to replace Unix system calls to equivalent Windows system calls (if at all possible) or emulate some kind of a Unix environment around it.

We did not explore the first option as it seems rather tedious and success does not seem guaranteed.
For the second we have the Cygwin alternative , which comes at the cost of somewhat decreased performance and other compromises.

(There might be other technical possibilities we did not look into, like libraries that support migrating Unix software to Windows, but I have no information in this area.)

There is an alternative though that may be interesting for you: we are working on a prototype , in cooperation with the Budapest Technical University , of an extension to the Titan Java plug-ins that will add Java code generation and execution. The existing Designer plug-in already does half of the job : syntactical and semantical analysis , building the Abstract Syntax Tree etc. Don't put your hopes too high up though: the prototype currently is generating code for a subset of TTCN-3 language and executes it , but it's at least one year, maybe more, away from industrialization.
However , if you are interested to cooperate in this project , please let me know. Needless to say , Java code generation is supposed to solve portability to Windows.

Best regards

Elemer

Re: Migrating Titan to Windows [message #1722831 is a reply to message #1722776] Tue, 09 February 2016 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gustavo Gonnet is currently offline Gustavo GonnetFriend
Hi Murli,
I have been using Titan on Windows for almost 7 years now, at work, everyday.

Yes, compilation is a bit slower than in Linux, and yes, it's not native.
However, I believe the power of Titan is so great that you can enjoy it in your favorite platform, and in your case you are in luck since that includes Windows.

For running it in Windows you would install cygwin from https://www.cygwin.com/ and then Titan. Eclipse and the Titan plugins work well in Win and Linux, so no issues there.
This setup is been working well for many colleagues and myself all these years. I'm pretty sure it can work well for you too.

All the best
Gustavo.
Re: Migrating Titan to Windows [message #1722897 is a reply to message #1722831] Wed, 10 February 2016 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Elemer,

Thanks for the info.
Actually we intent to compile the TestSuite with our SUT as one executable so we're looking for generation of TestSuite in C/C++ for windows.
We'll try to explore more about this.

Thanks
Murli
Re: Migrating Titan to Windows [message #1722898 is a reply to message #1722897] Wed, 10 February 2016 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Gustavo,

Thanks for the info. We tried to compile in cygwin but due to the massive size of the TestSuite we're compiling, it was failing on cygwin.
It's working fine on linux but we're interested to compile it natively for windows.

Thanks
Murli
Re: Migrating Titan to Windows [message #1722968 is a reply to message #1722898] Wed, 10 February 2016 15:34 Go to previous message
Jeno Attila Balasko is currently offline Jeno Attila BalaskoFriend

Hi Murli,

Pure windows C++ compilation will not work. There are a lot of UNIX dependency in the titan code. You need a Unix-like environment, for example VirtualBox virtual machine or cygwin. Depending on the used third party libs cygwin can be used or not because it is not a real Linux. Really huge test sotwares ( More millions ttcn code) can ran one or more Linux machine(s) only.

Br
Jeno Balasko
Titan Team, Ericsson
Previous Topic:Multiple ports of same port type
Next Topic:How to install ANTLR4 in Eclipse? (For titan plugin developers)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:33:11 GMT 2024