Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Newbie - simple project in Eclipse, I can't figure this out(Trying to share a project to remote repo, bring it back into Eclipse as a valid project)
Newbie - simple project in Eclipse, I can't figure this out [message #1720920] Thu, 21 January 2016 20:05 Go to next message
Chuck Cintron is currently offline Chuck CintronFriend
I've spent approx 30 hours trying to figure this out and I'm totally stuck. I'm going to try to net it out as much as possible, in the chance that my basic workflow and understanding might be flawed.

I have a very simple project in Eclipse that I generated as a "Dynamic Web Project"; it has a single file in the webcontent folder, called "index.jsp" which emits the text "Hello World".

I create a local git for this, and then I commit/push to my remote git repo.

Next, I want to try an experiment - can I completely wipe out my project in Eclipse, then pull it back down from the remote repo and have it back to where I was before I wiped it out?

I do this, but when I clone the remote git then tell it to import project using "Project Import Wizard" (as a dynamic web project) -- I get this error:

Connecting Git team provider failed. See log for details.
Connecting Git team provider failed. See log for details.
Error connecting project test-project2, no Git repositories found

OK, so that doesn't work. Let me just import it as a project, skip the fancy "import wizard". I do this, and it imports fine.

But, now the project is flawed. There is no /src folder and it is also complaining about "broken single root rule".

So, basically I have no idea how to push a project a remote git, then share it with someone else or bring it back to myself as a new project, without having failures.
Re: Newbie - simple project in Eclipse, I can't figure this out [message #1721024 is a reply to message #1720920] Fri, 22 January 2016 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Detlef Keil is currently offline Detlef KeilFriend
One of your problems might be, that git doesn't store empty directories. I'm not much into web development, but maybe your Dynamic Web Project expects an existing /src folder, which isn't there after git clone, because your index.jsp was stored in a different place (for example the project's root directory).

If this is the case you could place a dummy file into the source folder and commit it. This way "git clone", will create the source folder (even if the dummy file was empty).
Re: Newbie - simple project in Eclipse, I can't figure this out [message #1721158 is a reply to message #1721024] Mon, 25 January 2016 10:29 Go to previous message
Christian Halstrick is currently offline Christian HalstrickFriend
What do you mean with "completely wipe out my project in Eclipse"? Have you deleted also the ".git" folder which was located in the root of your project?

Ciao
Chris
Previous Topic:how should I do to implement "merge-base" command in eclispse
Next Topic:how can i view the history of git submodules with EGIT?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 02:35:04 GMT 2024