Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » ATL » ATL installation with GIT repository (how to install ADT)
ATL installation with GIT repository [message #1717391] Sat, 12 December 2015 17:10 Go to next message
Lujain AlDakheel is currently offline Lujain AlDakheelFriend
hey,

1- I've been following the steps in ATL installatin guide and i can't complete the installation of CVS repository, from what i read CVS doesn't work any longer and you moved to GIT.
okay, how can i create the needed repository to complete the installation guide? what should i write in Path/host/port/ ,.... etc to reach the same connection of the repository in the installation guide ?

2- if i'm going to create a transformation tool from UML to CPN, ive watched many youtube tutorials and the developers draw the metamodel in .ecore and then write their rules and in the ATL documentation there is always the .km3 file which i have to define the metamodel again. i didn't get it clear why should i define the .km3 file? and how to inject it to my .ecore meta-model ?

i use eclipse- mars

your help / time will be really appreciated since I've to get done with this ASAP and i'm lost with all old tutorials and new updates.
Re: ATL installation with GIT repository [message #1717430 is a reply to message #1717391] Sun, 13 December 2015 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dennis Wagelaar is currently offline Dennis WagelaarFriend

First of all: sorry for the large amount of out-of-date documentation on ATL. There is usually also more up-to-date documentation available on the wiki, but all the old documentation is left behind as well. Also, as is often the case, we developers focus on keeping ATL working rather than maintaining its documentation. We find there's too little time for the latter, and we often rely on our "power users" to help out. Pointing out "expired" documentation is a great start, thanks Smile. Now for your questions:

You can install ATL via its Eclipse update site at https://eclipse.org/atl/downloads/

You will not need to check out ATL from git unless you intend to change ATL's source code. That said, ATL's git repo can be found at http://git.eclipse.org/c/mmt/org.eclipse.atl.git/about/

Finally, ATL works directly with EMF metamodels (as .ecore file and as generated EMF plugins). KM3 is a just front-end textual language, similar to emfatic, xcore, and OCLInEcore, for developing metamodels, and you must generate a .ecore file from it before ATL can use it. If you're comfortable working with EMF/Ecore directly, that's the way to go. The ATL tutorial is still relatively well up-to-date, and you should be able to run through that. Let us know if you're running into any problems!

Cheers,
Dennis
Re: ATL installation with GIT repository [message #1717524 is a reply to message #1717430] Mon, 14 December 2015 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lujain AlDakheel is currently offline Lujain AlDakheelFriend
Thanks a lot Dennis, your answer was really helpful. so since i'm done with my source in .ecore i can move to the target directly right? what about registering it? my source/target will be in the same package.

btw, i really appreciate the time and effort you guys spent in here to help out and answer our question, what you did here is a huge favor to us. sorry i didn't mean what you get from "old documentation".
Re: ATL installation with GIT repository [message #1760692 is a reply to message #1717430] Tue, 02 May 2017 02:16 Go to previous message
Maris Jukss is currently offline Maris JukssFriend
Hi, I am trying to build ATL from source and then run/debug it in Eclipse. I tired many things, but I am becoming lost without some documentation, guidance. I cloned git repository, then added the project to Eclipse for development. Executed various pom.xml with Maven some succeeded some failed. Some plugins out of many compiled. Some are missing the required mdr standalone it seems, url given in old dev guide is empty. Could someone guide me with a short step by step. From compiling to running ATL from source. The number of plugins/packages in a project is overwhelming, it is not clear to me what to do.

I am particularly interested in VM. Maybe there is a way to install the ATL from update site, then replace VM plugin with my own compiled VM plugin that I can run/debug investigate? Thank you.
Previous Topic:ATL duplicate instances
Next Topic:Counter is never incremented in a matched rule
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 11:09:43 GMT 2024