Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » writeOnly channel
writeOnly channel [message #1717252] Fri, 11 December 2015 06:00 Go to next message
Jongmin Kim is currently offline Jongmin KimFriend
As this URL(https://www.eclipse.org/smarthome/documentation/development/bindings/thing-definition.html), The channel type definition allows to specify a category(R or RW).
But, (i think..) in order to reduce the startup time(or to reduce the thing approve time), we must consider the "write only channel".

The reason is like below:
1) When a thing is created, The channels must linked to the Items.
2) The entries of "channel, item, channelItemLink..." must have the mapdb entries(storages).
3) The creation of mapdb entry is a time consuming(expensive) operation.
4) If the number of channels increases, it will increase the generation time of the Thing.
5) I think all of the channel don't need the mapdb entries(storages)
6) If a channel is used to handle a "control only command", it is not necessary to store the channel's status.
7) If a "control only command" use the "wirte only channel", the creation time of the thing will be reduced.

Re: writeOnly channel [message #1718022 is a reply to message #1717252] Fri, 18 December 2015 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
The fewest channels are write-only, so I doubt that this optimization would bring much benefit.
You would still want to have these functionality exposed in UIs and rules the same way as the other functionality and the concept (abstraction) for this are the items.
I think the better option is to see if a few items & links could be provided automatically (in-memory) without persisting them in the database. This should address your concerns as well.
Re: writeOnly channel [message #1718119 is a reply to message #1718022] Sun, 20 December 2015 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Kai.
Thank you, for your answer.

There are further questions about your answer.

"I think the better option is to see if a few items & links could be provided automatically (in-memory) without persisting them in the database."

How can I implement the "a few items & links"?
(The items & links could be provided automatically without persisting them in the DB.)

I want to talk about one example, like below.
A bridge has the items.
1) a_item: RW channel.
2) b_item: RW channel.
3) c_item: this is provided automatically (in-memory) without persisting them in the DB.

How can I make the upper bridge?
Re: writeOnly channel [message #1718120 is a reply to message #1718022] Sun, 20 December 2015 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Kai.
Thank you, for your answer.

"I think the better option is to see if a few items & links could be provided automatically (in-memory) without persisting them in the database."

(The items & links could be provided automatically without persisting them in the DB.)

A bridge has the items.
3) c_item: this is provided automatically (in-memory) without persisting them in the DB.

Re: writeOnly channel [message #1718121 is a reply to message #1718022] Sun, 20 December 2015 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Kai.
Thank you for your answer.

A bridge has the items.
1) a_item: RW channel
2) b_item: RW channel
3) c_item: this is provided automatically (in-memory) without persisting them in the DB

Re: writeOnly channel [message #1718122 is a reply to message #1718022] Sun, 20 December 2015 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Kai.

A bridge has the items.
1) a_item: RW channel
2) b_item: RW channel
3) c_item: this is provided automatically (in-memory) without persisting them in the DB

Re: writeOnly channel [message #1718123 is a reply to message #1718022] Sun, 20 December 2015 08:49 Go to previous message
Hello Kai.

A bridge has the items.

Previous Topic:Automation - Multiple actions
Next Topic:How can I remove the Thing in Binding?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 24 02:17:40 GMT 2024