Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Kura » UPNP support in Kura(is there any support for UPNP in Kura?)
UPNP support in Kura [message #1716286] Wed, 02 December 2015 17:05 Go to next message
Matteo Palmieri is currently offline Matteo PalmieriFriend
Hi all, this is my first post on this forum.

I would like to start the implementation of an OSGI bundle that leverages device discovery capabilities and internet gateway device port forward configuration. Those features are provided by the UPNP protocol.

I know that eclipse Equinox has support for UPNP related interfaces and an implementation is available in the Apache Felix OSGI framework.

Does the Kura OSGI framework also implements UPNP support?
If not is there any suggested implementation that has been proven to work well with Kura?

The target platform is Intel IOT Gateways.

Regards,

Matteo
Re: UPNP support in Kura [message #1716702 is a reply to message #1716286] Mon, 07 December 2015 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Woodard is currently offline David WoodardFriend
Hello Matteo,

Welcome to Eclipse Kura!

Eclipse Kura is not an OSGi framework, it is a Java application that runs inside of an OSGi framework. The current installations of Kura use Eclipse Equinox, but Kura should be compatible with any container that implements the OSGi specification.

Kura itself doesn't expose any services to assist with UPNP. That said, the org.osgi.service.upnp package [1] is available in Kura, you would just need to implement the desired logic to use these services. I don't know of any examples using this in Kura, but I am happy to assist in any debug issues you may come across.

If you get something working in this area, it would be a great thing to contribute back to the project!

[1] https://osgi.org/javadoc/r4v42/org/osgi/service/upnp/package-summary.html

Thanks,
--Dave
Re: UPNP support in Kura [message #1722997 is a reply to message #1716702] Wed, 10 February 2016 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matteo Palmieri is currently offline Matteo PalmieriFriend
Hi,

thanks for your clarification on what Kura actually is.

About UPNP support in Equinox, it seems to me that it does not implement the part of the OSGI compendium 4.3 specification related to UPNP. Am I correct?

http://www.eclipse.org/equinox/bundles/

Matteo
Re: UPNP support in Kura [message #1723214 is a reply to message #1722997] Fri, 12 February 2016 14:17 Go to previous message
David Woodard is currently offline David WoodardFriend
Hi Matteo,

That may be a better question for the Equinox forums. From what I have read, it appears you are correct. The Equinox container provides the package org.osgi.service.upnp via the org.eclipse.osgi.services bundle, which is the Interfaces with no implementation.

Keep in mind, Kura does not have to run in Equinox. It can run in any OSGi container that implements the OSGi 4.3 specification. So, if you want to use a different OSGi container that supports UPNP, you can still use Kura.

Thanks,
--Dave
Previous Topic:Erro when running a bundle on Raspberry Pi 2
Next Topic:NullPointerException
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 10:09:18 GMT 2024