Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Merging fix branch to master: What's the diff between selecting a local branch or a remote branch?
Merging fix branch to master: What's the diff between selecting a local branch or a remote branch? [message #1715478] Mon, 23 November 2015 22:53 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I have some changes pushed to my github branch, and now I want to merge the branch back to master.

For instructions, I'm starting with https://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/User_Guide#Merging .

I'm looking at the "Team"->"Merge" dialog, and the instructions from the given doc page.

The instructions say to select a branch to merge to the current branch. I had been on the fix branch, but I switched back to my master to attempt this merge.

From the picture on the doc page, it's pretty clear that you just select the branch you want. However, this picture is only showing "Local" branches. When I view this dialog, I see the local branches, but I also see the "Remote" branch that corresponds to this local branch.

I imagine I'm supposed to select a local branch, but what would happen if I selected the remote branch of the same name? Would it work the same? Would it have bad consequences?

I ask this partially just to determine what I should do, but I'm also asking to try to get clarification on what the docs should be advising here.
Re: Merging fix branch to master: What's the diff between selecting a local branch or a remote branc [message #1716752 is a reply to message #1715478] Mon, 07 December 2015 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Always create the merge commit on a local branch, remote tracking branches are only updated by fetch, not by creating a new commit locally.
Then you can push the merge commit you created locally to the remote branch (branch in the remote repository, in your case located on Github).
Re: Merging fix branch to master: What's the diff between selecting a local branch or a remote branc [message #1716753 is a reply to message #1716752] Mon, 07 December 2015 23:36 Go to previous message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
No Message Body
Previous Topic:Copying notes during rewrite
Next Topic:Working on merging fix branch to master: What is the "history view"?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 26 21:16:55 GMT 2024