Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Having trouble following NI myRIO tutorial(Choosing the right compiler / path settings in Eclipse C/C++ project)
icon3.gif  Having trouble following NI myRIO tutorial [message #1715338] Sun, 22 November 2015 12:55 Go to next message
Mads Ryvang Andresen is currently offline Mads Ryvang AndresenFriend
Hi!
I'm working on an autonomous boat with RTK GPS navigation. I need a C program to translate the UART signal from the GPS hardware for the main program in National Instruments Labview.

I'm trying to follow a user guide made by National Instruments, but I can't get it to build the file.

See attached user guide. I have also attached the C example files, in case you needed that.

The problem is that it don't build a file, when I follow the steps on pdf page 5.

I've tried different combinations of builder settings under project settings.

Other notes:
I think that I might have made a mistake in "Setting up the software enviroment" pdf page 2. I deleted the PATH by accident under "System variables". I've tried a numerous of different combinations to include the right things in the PATH. See image below:
index.php/fa/24040/0/

I downloaded Eclipse from NI (Visit ni.com/info and enter the Info Code Eclipse2014) but I forgot to read the installation instructions, and therefore installed Eclipse before Java SE JDK. Maybe that is the problem.

I'm running Windows 10 64bit. Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers (Version: Kepler Service Release 2 Build id: 20140224-0627)

When I follow the user guide, I don't get any error codes. See image below:
index.php/fa/24041/0/

I've tried to download both Cygwin and MinGW builder, but I can't get them to work. But that is not prescribed in the user guide, so I'm thinking that is should be possible without any external programs.

Conclusion:
I need help setting up Eclipse the way the user guide prescribes, so that I can start programming C for the myRIO hardware.

Any help would be VERY much appreciated. I'm on a tight deadline, and I have already spend to much time figuring this out. I'm new to C programming.

Thanks in advance!
Re: Having trouble following NI myRIO tutorial [message #1717567 is a reply to message #1715338] Mon, 14 December 2015 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mads Ryvang Andresen is currently offline Mads Ryvang AndresenFriend
Anyone?!
Re: Having trouble following NI myRIO tutorial [message #1717571 is a reply to message #1717567] Mon, 14 December 2015 22:43 Go to previous message
David VavraFriend
So what happens when you try to build? What's in the build log?

You are running under Windows and trying to build and run a program for Windows but the tools chosen (GCC suite) are built to run under Linux. In fact, the title of the section on page 5 is "Using C support for myRIO with Eclipse for NI Linux Real-Time". The files in the zip for /C Support for myRIO/ contains a Linux dynamic (.so) library.

Cygwin provides a *nix environment under Windows. You could try running everything in a Cygwin console. GCC also has to have been installed into Cygwin. Optionally,. you could just point Eclipse to the Cygwin executables and libraries either explicitly or bia the PATH environment variable.
http://preshing.com/20141108/how-to-install-the-latest-gcc-on-windows/
But this may have changed somewhat -- note the 2014 date. IIRC, Cygwin has a problem with spaces in file names. Once upon a time, anyway. Maybe it has been fixed. All of the examples in the NI zip have spaces in the names so you may get grief just for this reason.

Actually, MinGW seems to have support for GCC also. It's another option.
http://www.mingw.org/wiki/howto_install_the_mingw_gcc_compiler_suite
http://eclipsebook.in/c-cpp-development/building-code/build-eclipse-managed/

If you're new to C programming then you've bitten off a rather large chunk to chew while also trying to translate steps for another operating environment to Windows. Backup and try starting with the Hello World example built into Eclipse. When you get those working, you likely will understand how to do the NI task.

You may stumble across someone who has done what you are trying to do but otherwise you are asking a lot for someone to go through all the steps just to debug your problem for you. Try to narrow your questions to specific CDT issues.

EDIT:

I looked into this a bit more but not in too much detail.

I added one of the projects and discovered that the compiler used is arm-nilrt-linux-gnueabi-gcc.
At least that's what Discovery tried to use.

This apparently is a cross compiler built by or for NI.
The Eclipse being used is not the standard Eclipse but some version modified by or for NI.
Presumably the install package also includes the compiler.
Since you have a 64 bit version of Windows, you need to add the following to your path environment variable (according to the pdf file):
(Windows 64-bit): C:\Program Files (x86)\National
Instruments\Eclipse\14.0\arm\sysroots\i686-nilrtsdkmingw32\usr\bin\armv7a-vfp-neon-nilrt-linux-gnueabi
And presumably it is a Windows executable so Cygwin and MinGW would not be needed.

In general, there should be something in a Build Console view that would show what is happening during the build but, as this is a modified version, who can say?

Considering that you are using a modified version of Eclipse, it would seem the proper place to ask installation and other questions is at NI support. They would be in a better position to know its intricacies.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 December 2015 11:28]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Missing C/C++ option after CDT plugin installed
Next Topic:Why CDT so bad?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 15:59:32 GMT 2024