Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » e(fx)clipse » Application model variables not declared as modifiable(DeclareModifiable methods are not called in the application context for the application model variables)
Application model variables not declared as modifiable [message #1715248] Fri, 20 November 2015 14:18 Go to next message
Attila Murvai is currently offline Attila MurvaiFriend
Messages: 2
Registered: November 2015
Junior Member
Hello guys!

First of all, I'm new to the forum, but using your framework for a long time. Keep up the good work. Smile

Currently I'm using e(fx)clipse 2.0, and I experienced a weird issue. As the title and the description says, it looks like you do not set the variables from the Application Model to the Workbench Context.

For every other level of the context tree, you do this in the PartRenderingEngine's createContext method. When you create the context for the model, you populate the model interfaces into the context, declare the modifiable contextkeys from the model variables, and set the context properties key-value pairs.

Obviously the MApplication is not "rendered" in a common sense, and the context for it is not created by the PartRenderingEngine, so these things are don't happen here for the Application itself. The WorkbenchContext is created by the E4Application(AbstractE4Application)'s createApplicationContext and later the createE4Workbench method loads the Application Model. Here you just
Quote:
// Set the app's context after adding itself
appContext.set(MApplication.class.getName(), appModel);

instead of populating all the model interfaces into the context, and seems that you completely forget about declaring the variables as modifiable.
You even have a initializeContext method in the E4Workbench, which might do something like this, but it is never called by the framework.

Am I missing something, or is this a real issue here?

It might be related, that it looks like you completely forget about the Context Properties for the Application Model. As an MContext, MApplication also has Properties, but for me it seems, that not only you do not handle it anywhere, it is not even showing in the Editor provided by your tooling.

Again, I'm still using 2.0, so these might have been fixed since, but looking at the your 2.1 fixed issue list, I was not able to find any relevant.

Thank you for your support in advance!
Re: Application model variables not declared as modifiable [message #1715425 is a reply to message #1715248] Mon, 23 November 2015 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
Messages: 6398
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi,

Yes this is a bug and no it has not been fixed, because noone notice
that we are not doing this (i guess the same is true for e4 on SWT).

So please file a bug and we'll fix this for 2.2.0.

Tom

On 23.11.15 14:41, Attila Murvai wrote:
> Hello guys!
>
> First of all, I'm new to the forum, but using your framework for a long
> time. Keep up the good work. :)
>
> Currently I'm using e(fx)clipse 2.0, and I experienced a weird issue. As
> the title and the description says, it looks like you do not set the
> variables from the Application Model to the Workbench Context.
>
> For every other level of the context tree, you do this in the
> PartRenderingEngine's createContext method. When you create the context
> for the model, you populate the model interfaces into the context,
> declare the modifiable contextkeys from the model variables, and set the
> context properties key-value pairs.
>
> Obviously the MApplication is not "rendered" in a common sense, and the
> context for it is not created by the PartRenderingEngine, so these
> things are don't happen here for the Application itself. The
> WorkbenchContext is created by the
> E4Application(AbstractE4Application)'s createApplicationContext and
> later the createE4Workbench method loads the Application Model. Here you
> just Quote:
>> // Set the app's context after adding itself
>> appContext.set(MApplication.class.getName(), appModel);
>
> instead of populating all the model interfaces into the context, and
> seems that you completely forget about declaring the variables as
> modifiable.
> You even have a initializeContext method in the E4Workbench, which might
> do something like this, but it is never called by the framework.
>
> Am I missing something, or is this a real issue here?
>
> It might be related, that it looks like you completely forget about the
> Context Properties for the Application Model. As an MContext,
> MApplication also has Properties, but for me it seems, that not only you
> do not handle it anywhere, it is not even showing in the Editor provided
> by your tooling.
>
> Again, I'm still using 2.0, so these might have been fixed since, but
> looking at the your 2.1 fixed issue list, I was not able to find any
> relevant.
>
> Thank you for your support in advance!
Re: Application model variables not declared as modifiable [message #1715526 is a reply to message #1715425] Tue, 24 November 2015 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Attila Murvai is currently offline Attila MurvaiFriend
Messages: 2
Registered: November 2015
Junior Member
Hi,

thanks for your answer. My guess is also that it's wrong in the original SWT E4, because it does not really relate to the FX rendering (and you process these variables well in your FX rendering engine actually).

Where can I report this issue though? Can you give me a link?

And what about my other question regarding the E4 tooling and Context Properties? If the tooling is not your responsibility, can you direct me to the proper forum?

Thank you again for the support!
Re: Application model variables not declared as modifiable [message #1715530 is a reply to message #1715526] Tue, 24 November 2015 09:39 Go to previous message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
Messages: 6398
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
For e(fx)clipse you file bugs at
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Efxclipse

For the missing context properties in the tooling
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Platform&component=UI

Tom

On 24.11.15 10:23, Attila Murvai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for your answer. My guess is also that it's wrong in the original
> SWT E4, because it does not really relate to the FX rendering (and you
> process these variables well in your FX rendering engine actually).
>
> Where can I report this issue though? Can you give me a link?
>
> And what about my other question regarding the E4 tooling and Context
> Properties? If the tooling is not your responsibility, can you direct me
> to the proper forum?
>
> Thank you again for the support!
Previous Topic:Error running Tutorial 2 / JavaFX Viewpart
Next Topic:org.eclipse.fx.javafx deprecation?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sun Jun 24 21:03:28 GMT 2018

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02245 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top