Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EclipseLink » Where is the Mapping Workbench in 2.6 ?(The Mapping Workbench is not shipped with Eclipelink 2.6)
Where is the Mapping Workbench in 2.6 ? [message #1712915] Thu, 29 October 2015 10:39 Go to next message
Ingo Primas is currently offline Ingo PrimasFriend
The Mapping Workbench is disappeared since Eclipselink Version 2.6.

Has somebody informations about the disposition ?
Re: Where is the Mapping Workbench in 2.6 ? [message #1713068 is a reply to message #1712915] Fri, 30 October 2015 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Delahunt is currently offline Chris DelahuntFriend
from
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29809388/why-doesnt-eclipselink-2-6-ship-with-workbench

The answer was:
"With the rise in JPA and IDEs supporting JPA annotations/XML, JPA is now the prefered persistence api with the Workbench appearing inactive in favor of the Dali project in Eclipse. While I can't find an official "it's been deprecated" message, the EclipseLink PM advises using the JPA interface here: https://www.linkedin.com/grp/post/2720577-104587406

As native projects will always be supported (the JPA methods are built on the native code), projects created from previous workbench versions will still work on the latest EclipseLink runtime, so there should not be any issues using the 2.5.2 Workbench version and then executing generated project classes/XML against EclipseLink 2.6."

Best Regards,
Chris
Re: Where is the Mapping Workbench in 2.6 ? [message #1713070 is a reply to message #1713068] Fri, 30 October 2015 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ingo Primas is currently offline Ingo PrimasFriend
First of all, I haven't a account at Linkedin and can't read the post.

Can you write here the text from the post ?

My next question: Is it possible to convert a project from Mapping Workbench to Dali ?

Best regards,
Ingo
Re: Where is the Mapping Workbench in 2.6 ? [message #1713169 is a reply to message #1713070] Sun, 01 November 2015 19:44 Go to previous message
Chris Delahunt is currently offline Chris DelahuntFriend
I don't have access now, and I don't know how relevant or useful it is to you, as it was just a suggestion to use JPA interfaces going forward as they receive the most attention.

No, I do not believe a workbench project can be converted to Dali - the workbench deals with native EclipseLink api with its own metadata format to build sessions, while Dali I believe was created to work with JPA, generating persistence units. While I believe both use EclipseLink internally, I don't think the projects are the same or interchangeable in any way.

You can continue to use the EclipseLink 2.5 workbench to generate projects that continue to work with future versions of EclipseLink, but if you are starting a new project, I would recommend using a different mapping tool.
Previous Topic:"Transaction cannot proceed STATUS_COMMITTED" while leaving EJB container
Next Topic:Cursor memory issues
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 19:34:43 GMT 2024