Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Use of DSL's in Java Code by annotations?(DSL's and Java Code for a project (university) in software maintenance.)
Use of DSL's in Java Code by annotations? [message #1712719] Tue, 27 October 2015 16:38 Go to next message
Jahic Benjamin is currently offline Jahic BenjaminFriend
Hi to everyone,

I recently got a project to do for my studies, where I need to create some eclipse plugin.
My topic is "textual DSL's with graphical representations". I had the idea to create some DSL in order to support software maintenance. I'm pretty new in DSL's so I wanted to ask if it is possible to create a DSL and use it in Java code by annotations for example.

In order to create some sort of scheme of the code, which will show the critical parts of the code a user has implemented and annotated?
The user then simple annotates the code with the DSL and from that a Scheme will be generated, showing the inputs of the user?

You may have some better ideas to create such a plugin to support software maintenance with a textual DSL with graphical representation (Xtext and Sirius)?

I would be very happy for any advise or help on annotations?

Thank you in advance:)

Re: Use of DSL's in Java Code by annotations? [message #1712772 is a reply to message #1712719] Wed, 28 October 2015 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Oehme is currently offline Stefan OehmeFriend

Hi,

we will need some more context to give you any suggestion. What is the DSL supposed to do? Maybe some examples of the syntax that you would like to have?

Embedding a DSL in Java annotations is not possible. But you can go the other way around and have a DSL with Java-like expressions in it, using Xbase.

Cheers,
Stefan
Re: Use of DSL's in Java Code by annotations? [message #1712879 is a reply to message #1712772] Thu, 29 October 2015 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Guckelsberger is currently offline Axel GuckelsbergerFriend
Hi,

just an idea: maybe you could utilise Xtend's active annotations for this:

https://www.eclipse.org/xtend/documentation/204_activeannotations.html

Best regards,
Axel
Re: Use of DSL's in Java Code by annotations? [message #1712885 is a reply to message #1712719] Thu, 29 October 2015 08:27 Go to previous message
Jahic Benjamin is currently offline Jahic BenjaminFriend
Thank's a lot for your help, I can focus then directly on DSL's without annotations.

I'm now working on the specification of the tool, then I will let you know more about it. It should be some sort of DSL, to structure the code you implement. Then you can add inside it some comments and/or critical parts of code. With that you get a representation of the different classes, with comments of the programmer.

This would help new programmers, to understand the code better and understand rapidly the new system.

I guess, this would be possible using an own DSL. To create some sort of graphical representation of the critical parts of the code, including some comments done by the programmer.

I'll discuss this with my prof today. Smile

Thank you for your help!
Previous Topic:Replacement for TypeReferences.isInstanceOf and SuperTypeCollector
Next Topic:Runtime configuration
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 21:38:37 GMT 2024