Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Cannot Access Plugins in Eclipse 4.3.2(Cannot Use any ClearPath OS 2200 or COBOL plugins for Eclipse even though it says they are installed.)
icon4.gif  Cannot Access Plugins in Eclipse 4.3.2 [message #1712586] Mon, 26 October 2015 15:54 Go to next message
Kevin Pittinaro is currently offline Kevin PittinaroFriend
I just installed a fresh copy of the ClearPath OS 2200 IDE for Eclipse version 4.3.2 on my work computer. I will be using it to create and edit COBOL programs on our Unisys ClearPath OS 2200 mainframe system. The installation package I downloaded (from: ftp://ftp.support.unisys.com/pub/2200/IDE/Eclipse-2200-4-3-2/) seems to include all of the plugins I need to do what I want. However, I am not able to work in the correct environment (or perspective, as it seems to be called in Eclipse) for some reason.

At first, I thought that I did not have the correct plugins installed, so I went to Help -> Install New Software and entered in the Unisys CA Update Site (ftp://ftp.support.unisys.com/pub/2200/IDE/Eclipse-2200-4-3-2/Eclipse-2200-ca-4-3-2-20150121-UpdateSite/) and did a search for an update repository. It came back with only 1 plugin for "Unisys Clearpath OS 2200 IDE for Eclipse - CA" version 4.3.2.20150121. When I tried to install this plugin though, it said that it was already installed.

So, it seems like I have the correct environment (perspective) already installed, but it does not look like it when I run Eclipse. I do not see any perspectives available for an OS 2200 programming environment for COBOL. However, when I go to Help -> About Eclipse -> Installation Details, it says that I have a TON of plugins installed already and I do see plugins for both "Unisys Clearpath OS 2200 IDE for Eclipse - CA" and "Unisys Clearpath OS 2200 IDE for Eclipse - COBOL Plug-in". I cannot create a COBOL project though and there are no perspecives or settings available for the OS 2200 environment in Eclipse right now. All I have available under Window -> Open Perspective is:

• CVS Repository Exploring
  • Database Debug
  • Database Development
  • Debug
  • Git
  • Java
  • Java Browsing
  • Java EE
  • Java Type Hierarchy
  • JavaScript
  • JPA
  • Planning
  • Plug-in Development
  • Resource (Default)
  • Team Synchronizing
  • Web
  • XML

What am I missing here that I need to access an OS 2200 perspective to create or edit programs in COBOL? This seems like it should be a lot easier (and more intuitive) to figure out than it has been for me. Thanks!

[Updated on: Tue, 27 October 2015 12:49]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Cannot Access Plugins in Eclipse 4.3.2 [message #1712675 is a reply to message #1712586] Tue, 27 October 2015 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Roubekas is currently offline Paul RoubekasFriend
Just a shot in the dark here. Have you done a start of eclipse with the clean option?

eclipse.exe -data "C:\myEclipseWorkspace" -Dosgi.clean=true

Oxygen 3a
Windows 10
Re: Cannot Access Plugins in Eclipse 4.3.2 [message #1712677 is a reply to message #1712586] Tue, 27 October 2015 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dirk Fauth is currently offline Dirk FauthFriend
Please ask the providers of that plugins what might be wrong. We can't tell you what is going wrong with plugins we don't create and in my case don't even know.
Re: Cannot Access Plugins in Eclipse 4.3.2 [message #1712684 is a reply to message #1712675] Tue, 27 October 2015 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Roubekas wrote on Tue, 27 October 2015 08:52
Just a shot in the dark here. Have you done a start of eclipse with the clean option?

No, I have not tried that, but I just installed the program and tried to use it for the first time, so I should think that my workspace is pretty clean to begin with. But, I can try it out anyways just to see if it makes any difference...
..........(\)
Which it didn't... Sad It is still not working for me after running:
eclipse.exe -data "C:\Users\TD1340\workspace" -Dosgi.clean=true

The only other difference I have noticed is that the older version we were using before (Eclipse 3.7.2 A2) was called an "All-In-One" version while the newer version (Eclipse 4.3.2) says it is not. Could this have anything to do with why it is not working? Still, I should think that if the program says that the plugin is installed, it SHOULD be able to use it. IDK what I am missing here.

[Updated on: Tue, 27 October 2015 13:39]

Re: Cannot Access Plugins in Eclipse 4.3.2 [message #1712689 is a reply to message #1712677] Tue, 27 October 2015 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dirk Fauth wrote on Tue, 27 October 2015 08:55
Please ask the providers of that plugins what might be wrong. We can't tell you what is going wrong with plugins we don't create and in my case don't even know.

Well, I figured that someone out there might have run into this problem before with plugins. It could be an issue with the plugin itself, but more than likely it seems like something simple with the program itself that I am overlooking as a first time user. I have never used Eclipse before and have previously only used like Visual Studio or Borland Builder to program in. I never had any issues like this with other development programs.

I'm assuming that if Eclipse didn't write these plugins that probably Unisys wrote them specifically for use on their OS 2200 mainframe systems. Is there any way to tell who the author of a plugin is though?
Re: Cannot Access Plugins in Eclipse 4.3.2 [message #1712699 is a reply to message #1712689] Tue, 27 October 2015 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Searching for it I conly come across this site: http://www.unisys.com/offerings/high-end-servers/clearpath-systems/clearpath-os-2200-software/clearpath-os-2200-ide-for-eclipse

You might want to look into the log file, which should be located in <your_workspace_directory>/.metadata/.log

Maybe it contains some information why your plugins are not started.
Re: Cannot Access Plugins in Eclipse 4.3.2 [message #1712709 is a reply to message #1712699] Tue, 27 October 2015 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dirk Fauth wrote on Tue, 27 October 2015 10:11
Searching for it I only come across this site: www.unisys.com/offerings/high-end-servers/clearpath-systems/clearpath-os-2200-software/clearpath-os-2200-ide-for-eclipse

Yes, this is what I downloaded from the Unisys FTP server. I am supposed to have the CA (Composite Applications) version of Eclipse for OS 2200 project framework:

CA Eclipse Plug-In:

The CA Eclipse Plug-in simplifies the development of Java composite applications. It extends Eclipse with an OS 2200 project framework, language editors, and Telnet communication capabilities. The Eclipse Plug-in enables you to create, modify, build, and integrate OS 2200 3GL programs with new or existing Java application programs.

• Projects:

• OS 2200 project Wizard and Eclipse IDE perspective
    • Create, update, and delete OS 2200 projects
    • Shared Eclipse IDE and OS working directory
    • OS 2200 CIFS directories hold program source on the OS 2200
    • Add, create, and delete program file elements from an OS 2200 project
    • Managed Builds enable you to control builds and deployment
    • Report compilation warnings and errors
    • Displays program statement associated with warnings and errors
    • Automatically connects to the OS 2200 system using a Telnet plug-in
    • Automatic LETS-J to Unicode character conversion for project files
    • Supports builds with output in Brkpt files
    • Supports interactive debugging of UCS programs

• Editors:

• COBOL IDE editor using the Eclipse COBOL IDE plug-in
    • C editor using the Eclipse CDT plug-in

• PLUS editor:

• Common Eclipse editor capabilities (Cut, Copy, Paste, and so forth)
    • Syntax color coding
    • Automatic block indention
    • Automatic tab and line delimiter conversion
    • Source line numbers
    • Preference adjustments

• Java Application Integration:

• TIP/HVTIP Java Connection class generator using annotations
    • Build and edit Application Server configuration files
    • Define and edit connector Views
    • Supports code generation for using the BIS resource adapter and the DMS resource adapter

• Unisys Telnet Plug-In:

• Create Connection wizard
    • Create Session wizard
    • Opening manual sessions
    • Set, update, and delete connection profiles
    • Set, update, and delete Host Account profiles
    • Automatic login script generation
    • Cancel output
    • Pause output
    • Kill process and output
    • Toggle echo state
    • Command history scrolling
    • Command Copy and Paste
    • Copy a session output

• Logging and Diagnostics:

• Built-in diagnostic logging of plug-in processing
    • Automatic packaging and export of log files

• Integrated Eclipse IDE Help

I know it says that it is a Java IDE a lot, but it does also mention that it has both COBOL and C editor plug-ins. The big thing that I also need is the Telnet ability to transfer files to/from the mainframe system (or possibly using CIFS to access the files).

Dirk Fauth wrote on Tue, 27 October 2015 10:11

You might want to look into the log file, which should be located in <your_workspace_directory>/.metadata/.log

Maybe it contains some information why your plugins are not started.

Also, here is the log file. IDK if this will be of any help or not trying to figure out what is going wrong. I had to attach it rather than try to copy the contents of it in here because it is too long. So, please check the attachment.

Thank you!
  • Attachment: .log
    (Size: 118.55KB, Downloaded 127 times)

[Updated on: Tue, 27 October 2015 15:13]

Re: Cannot Access Plugins in Eclipse 4.3.2 [message #1712713 is a reply to message #1712709] Tue, 27 October 2015 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like there are issues regarding the installation process and there is an update job in the background that doesn't work. At least that is what the log says as it talks about connection timeouts.

Maybe you are behind a proxy and need to configure your network settings in Eclipse accordingly. Window -> Preferences -> General -> Network Connections
Re: Cannot Access Plugins in Eclipse 4.3.2 [message #1712731 is a reply to message #1712713] Tue, 27 October 2015 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hmmm... It is possible. In fact, it is highly probable even. (You know how the state is with security.) Let me check the proxy settings in IE and compare them with Eclipse and update it if necessary. I still don't know if this will make any difference with the plug-ins or not, but you never know.

My other thought I just had is could this be a Java issue? If I don't have the right version of Java (or JRE) on my machine, could that be causing it to not work properly? It looks like I have Java version 6, update 31 (build 1.6.0_31-b05) on my work computer. I know my Java level isn't high enough to run the latest and greatest version of Eclipse 4.4.1, but I thought it should be able to run Eclipse 4.3.2. The application itself launches okay, so I would think that it wouldn't even run if I don't have the right version of Java installed, but maybe I'm wrong in assuming that?

Unfortunately, I don't think I can update Java on my computer due to access restrictions and that we have legacy applications that need the older version of Java in order to run. So, if this is an issue related to Java, then I most likely won't be able to fix it by updating Java on my computer.
Re: Cannot Access Plugins in Eclipse 4.3.2 [message #1712734 is a reply to message #1712713] Tue, 27 October 2015 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dirk Fauth wrote on Tue, 27 October 2015 11:29
Maybe you are behind a proxy and need to configure your network settings in Eclipse accordingly. Window -> Preferences -> General -> Network Connections

No, I checked all of the network settings and they look good. The proxy is setup the same:

index.php/fa/23760/0/

So, I'm not sure why there would be network connection issues in Eclipse. I checked my supervisor's settings in Eclipse and his are the same as mine. His is working though and we still can't figure out why mine is not working.

(Please note, for security I "airbrushed" out some of the network settings in the picture above, but the settings there are correct for our agency.)

[Updated on: Tue, 27 October 2015 18:31]

Re: Cannot Access Plugins in Eclipse 4.3.2 [message #1712741 is a reply to message #1712734] Tue, 27 October 2015 19:52 Go to previous message
In that case maybe your assumption regarding the Java version is correct. Plugins can specify their minimum required Execution Environment. Try to search for the bundle jar, open it with some unzip program and check the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file. If it contains an entry for Execution-Environment: JavaSE 1.7 you know that you need that version so the plugin gets started.

BTW, it is possible to have several Java installations on one system. But of course I don't know your companies security rules.
Previous Topic:E4 DI: problem with reinjecting values from different contexts
Next Topic:Callback for EventLoopException
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 14:21:57 GMT 2024