Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » Eclipse SmartHome(Eclipse smarthome development)
Eclipse SmartHome [message #1712465] Sun, 25 October 2015 13:29 Go to next message
Michael Tetteh is currently offline Michael TettehFriend
I want to find out. I am new to the eclipse smarthome framework. I intend to use it for mu final year project. My question is how do I go about it after developing the bindings and is it compulsory to use the openHab. If so can you customise their front-end ui.
Re: Eclipse SmartHome [message #1712473 is a reply to message #1712465] Sun, 25 October 2015 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
It very much depends on what you actually want to achieve. See https://www.eclipse.org/smarthome/getting-started.html.
Eclipse SmartHome is a framework, so you either have to build your own solution or you go with the existing open source solution openHAB 2 (or you take that as a starting point for your own solution, but be aware that you will have to open-source your code as well).

Regards,
Kai
Re: Eclipse SmartHome [message #1713018 is a reply to message #1712473] Thu, 29 October 2015 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Tetteh is currently offline Michael TettehFriend
I am building a device and I need to be able to control it. I intend to develop a binding for it. I also have a raspberry pi for the server or hub. The IDE is setup so how do i start developing by binding. And I saw designer ui. I dont actually know what that is for.
Re: Eclipse SmartHome [message #1713021 is a reply to message #1713018] Thu, 29 October 2015 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That sounds as if you are looking for a solution, so https://github.com/openhab/openhab2/blob/master/docs/sources/development/bindings.md might help you.
Re: Eclipse SmartHome [message #1777594 is a reply to message #1713021] Thu, 30 November 2017 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Jarzabek is currently offline Robert JarzabekFriend
We would like to implement eHouse BMS system to Eclipse SmartHome project.
System is based on large controllers from 10 intelligent points up to 255 per each and it was designed for DIY and self development.

UDP protocol (broadcasts) is used to distribute statuses from IP controllers or via eHouse Server from non IP controllers. Discovery info is also send by UDP broadcasts.

Commands/Events are send via TCP/IP directly to IP controllers or indirectly via eHouse Server.

Due to large systems (thousands of devices - intelligent points) we looking for efficient way of integration that amount of data.

Have You got any suggestions how to start and what it the best aproch ?

Is there any similar device for example how to implement full automatic discovery and status update without querying each intelligent point one by one?

We already tested this solution with OpenRemote (based on Java) and it comes very ineffective on any hardware.

The best solution for us is direct update of "status database" by application decoding statuses as we succeed in Domoticz (C++ Home Automation Software)

Re: Eclipse SmartHome [message #1777863 is a reply to message #1777594] Tue, 05 December 2017 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dear Robert,

I I am myself not familiar with eHouse, so I cannot really assess what the best way might be to get hold of all required data in an efficient way.

Generally, you can implement a DiscoveryService that identifies devices/servers on your network. Once they are added as things to the system by the user (by approving the discovery result), your ThingHandlers can go ahead and retrieve all the details from the remote device and create the Thing channels accordingly. A binding that does a similar approach is e.g. Homematic (see https://github.com/openhab/openhab2-addons/tree/master/addons/binding/org.openhab.binding.homematic).

Hope this helps to get you started!

Regards,
Kai
Re: Eclipse SmartHome [message #1778080 is a reply to message #1777863] Sat, 09 December 2017 10:20 Go to previous message
Robert Jarzabek is currently offline Robert JarzabekFriend
Dear Kai,
Thank you very much for replay and suggestions.

In the meantime I go through Homematic example, as it was also sugested on OpenHab forum and I started development.

- I already manage to create "global" UDP listener (gateway/bridge) for listening IP controllers statuses and device discovery (devices names things & channels).

- I already made another option or reading device discovery from eHouse configuration files (generated by eHouse Config Applications) as it is natively done by eHouse aplications. Is it ok with OpenHab & ESH policies?
- can we create Thing.xml files dynamically by our service in ESH/OH application during discovery by bridge/gateway service? Controllers are very big & complex - configurable externaly by eHouse applications so the best practice for me would create thing configuration file if possible.
(directly creating xml files for witch all names for controller during discovery process)
Previous Topic:USB and Binding
Next Topic:Multiple AND or OR operators in rules when using rule REST API
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 21:14:29 GMT 2024