Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » How to link the libi2c-dev library correctly
icon5.gif  How to link the libi2c-dev library correctly [message #1711598] Sat, 17 October 2015 22:20 Go to next message
Cleber Marques is currently offline Cleber MarquesFriend
I really have been working so hard tring to figure out how to link a library correctly. I hope get some useful help here!

I've tried to compile a single program in C to read and write to a device through I2C bus but I'm getting these errors:
make: *** [STRME_v2] Error 1
recipe for target 'STRME_v2' failed 
undefined reference to `i2c_smbus_read_byte_data' 
undefined reference to `i2c_smbus_write_byte_data'

The functions i2c_smbus_read_byte_data and i2c_smbus_write_byte_data are defined in the libi2c-dev. using the command sudo dpkg -L libi2c-dev (Linux) I located the the library's path: /usr/include/linux/

So, all I did to link was:
Browsing to "Properties > C/C++ Build > Settings > Cross GCC Linker > Libraries"
and added "libi2c-dev" in "Libraries (-l)" and added "/usr/include/linux" in "Library search path (-L)"

cannot find libi2c-dev
make: *** [STRME_v2] Error 1
recipe for target 'STRME_v2' failed

It looks more like a linker error. I've no idea how to make it working! I'm stuck on this step for days. I need to make it working to advance on my project to conclude the graduation (with very short deadline!).

PS: I didnt forget the #include <linux/i2c-dev.h> in my code!

Thank in advance!
Re: How to link the libi2c-dev library correctly [message #1711639 is a reply to message #1711598] Sun, 18 October 2015 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
Not really sure what you did and what linker you are using but if it isn't GCC but has similar options, you would supply both -L<path to lib(s)> -l<lib>. The -l option should not include "lib" as it will be added which in your case would be "-li2c-dev". Optionally, if it's an obvious library (ends in .a and .so), you could place a complete path specification to it on the command line without using an option and the linker will figure it out. I use my own make files and am not really sure how to get eclipse to provide a full path. However, I think you can supply a full path and name with the -l option though I've never tried it.

Again this is assuming what you are using works like GCC.
FWIW: Here are the GNU ld command line options.
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/Manuals/ld-2.9.1/html_node/ld_3.html#SEC3

EDIT:

I just tried -l<full path and name> and it didn't work.
Also, I'm not really sure it isn't treating the naked .a file as a bunch of objects and all them are being dragged in. The names I'm using don't follow normal naming conventions that -l assumes so -l is not an, er, option.

[Updated on: Sun, 18 October 2015 23:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to link the libi2c-dev library correctly [message #1711722 is a reply to message #1711598] Mon, 19 October 2015 12:48 Go to previous message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
It seems that you're making a cross-compilation to another Linux installation (Raspberry?). Please note that the shared libraries of the host Linux hardly ever can be linked to a cross-compiled executable.

Please tell:
- What is the development computer operating system?
- What is the target processor / operating system?
- Is the development library from the development or target
processor repository?
- Is the library an archive file (.a) or a shared library (.so)?

--

Tauno Voipio
Previous Topic:Link LibBoost to Eclipse
Next Topic:Eclipse CDT and Visual Studio 2013 toolchain
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:51:26 GMT 2024