Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Refreshing XText Eclipse Application without relaunching?
Refreshing XText Eclipse Application without relaunching? [message #1711588] Sat, 17 October 2015 19:48 Go to next message
Larry LeBron is currently offline Larry LeBronFriend
I'm learning XText, and am wondering about the best workflow for language development.

Right now, whenever I change my language grammar, I:

1. Update my grammar
  2. Generate XText Artifacts
  3. Run As -> Eclipse Application

Instead of relaunching every time, is it possible to refresh the Eclipse Application with the updated XText artifacts?

Any other suggestions on improved workflow for DSL iteration? Thanks!
Re: Refreshing XText Eclipse Application without relaunching? [message #1711591 is a reply to message #1711588] Sat, 17 October 2015 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
No there is no other ways. maybe using a unit test would make the roundtrip faster

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Refreshing XText Eclipse Application without relaunching? [message #1711616 is a reply to message #1711591] Sun, 18 October 2015 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Oehme is currently offline Stefan OehmeFriend

Yes, writing unit tests for your parser is the fastest way to iterate in the beginning.

It also leaves you with lots of valuable unit tests so you don't break stuff later on =)
Re: Refreshing XText Eclipse Application without relaunching? [message #1711684 is a reply to message #1711588] Mon, 19 October 2015 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karsten Thoms is currently offline Karsten ThomsFriend

To learn about writing Xtext unit tests, install the Xtext Domainmodel example (File/New/Example/Domainmodel) and look into the Test plugin. It contains some useful code for you to start.

Need professional support for Xtext, EMF, Eclipse IDE?
Go to: http://devhub.karakun.com
Twitter : @kthoms
Blog : www.karsten-thoms.de
Re: Refreshing XText Eclipse Application without relaunching? [message #1711786 is a reply to message #1711684] Mon, 19 October 2015 16:28 Go to previous message
Larry LeBron is currently offline Larry LeBronFriend
Ah, I see. Thanks for the pointer. This does look like a nice option for quickly iterating on initial language development. Great!
Previous Topic:Xtext resource URI starting with java:/Objects
Next Topic:Enable or disable grammatical rule by file extension
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 23 04:28:55 GMT 2024