Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Why do I only have "Custom plug-in wizard" in my list of available plug-in templates?
Why do I only have "Custom plug-in wizard" in my list of available plug-in templates? [message #1711082] Mon, 12 October 2015 20:37 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I'm looking at a couple of tutorials on writing Eclipse plugins, and they both mention choosing a template during the project creation process. In my templates list, the only one in the list is "Custom plug-in wizard". Why are there no other choices in the list?

I'm on Mars.1.
Re: Why do I only have "Custom plug-in wizard" in my list of available plug-in templates? [message #1711085 is a reply to message #1711082] Mon, 12 October 2015 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Roubekas is currently offline Paul RoubekasFriend
A lot of plug-ins come with there own templates that show up during project creation. If you only have the base Mars install that will explain what you are seeing.

Oxygen 3a
Windows 10
Re: Why do I only have "Custom plug-in wizard" in my list of available plug-in templates? [message #1711086 is a reply to message #1711085] Mon, 12 October 2015 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok. It appears I don't even have the "org.eclipse.pde" feature installed. This is the "Eclipse IDE for Java Developers" distro. Is there a plugin(s) that I have to install for typical plugin development?
Re: Why do I only have "Custom plug-in wizard" in my list of available plug-in templates? [message #1711089 is a reply to message #1711086] Mon, 12 October 2015 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/eclipse-rcp-and-rap-developers/mars1
has the pde plugin. In the past PDE was its own distro. Now it is in the rcp/rap distro.

Oxygen 3a
Windows 10
Re: Why do I only have "Custom plug-in wizard" in my list of available plug-in templates? [message #1711091 is a reply to message #1711089] Mon, 12 October 2015 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So I have to install a separate distribution, I can't just install plugins into my existing Eclipse instance?
Re: Why do I only have "Custom plug-in wizard" in my list of available plug-in templates? [message #1711092 is a reply to message #1711091] Mon, 12 October 2015 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It can be done either way. Most choose the RCP/RAP.

Oxygen 3a
Windows 10
Re: Why do I only have "Custom plug-in wizard" in my list of available plug-in templates? [message #1711094 is a reply to message #1711092] Mon, 12 October 2015 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, so if I install a separate distribution, if I specify a separate workspace for my PDE work (and set it as the default), will this conflict at all with my other Eclipse installation and workspace?
Re: Why do I only have "Custom plug-in wizard" in my list of available plug-in templates? [message #1711095 is a reply to message #1711094] Mon, 12 October 2015 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This will work under the following conditions.

1) The RCP/RAP install of eclipse is NOT in the the same, or under, the existing eclipse
install directory.

2) You don't open any work-space(s) in the wrong instance of eclipse. e.g. open an existing eclipse work-space in the new RCP/RAP instance of eclipse.

3) Don't point both eclipse instances to the same instance of some third party software until you know for SURE there is no "cross talk"/"data exchange" between the third part software and eclipse or the other was around. Or you know for SURE the data exchanged will not corrupt either instance of eclipse or the third party software.

Oxygen 3a
Windows 10
Re: Why do I only have "Custom plug-in wizard" in my list of available plug-in templates? [message #1711163 is a reply to message #1711095] Tue, 13 October 2015 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would really prefer to use a single distribution, but I haven't seen a way to "fix" my "Java IDE" distribution to be a proper PDE environment. That link you gave me earlier doesn't appear to have an update site URL, just a full distribution.
Re: Why do I only have "Custom plug-in wizard" in my list of available plug-in templates? [message #1711165 is a reply to message #1711163] Tue, 13 October 2015 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Use the following update site.

http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/4.5

Filter on the string "PDE"

Expand the "Eclipse Plugin Development Tools" option.

Check the sub-option "Eclipse PDE Plug-in Developer Resources"

Download and install.

index.php/fa/23522/0/
  • Attachment: Snap1.jpg
    (Size: 220.21KB, Downloaded 627 times)

Oxygen 3a
Windows 10
Re: Why do I only have "Custom plug-in wizard" in my list of available plug-in templates? [message #1711169 is a reply to message #1711165] Tue, 13 October 2015 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, I was looking in the "release" repo, not the "updates" repo.

I then discovered the common issue with needing to set the "target platform".

I have a remaining issue that I also had in the "PDE" workspace, but I have a feeling this is an issue with a plugin that I'm trying to work on. I'm getting errors about missing classes in "org.eclipse.m2e.tests.*". I have a feeling the dependencies are just missing an artifact. Do you know where I should be getting this class from?
Re: Why do I only have "Custom plug-in wizard" in my list of available plug-in templates? [message #1711171 is a reply to message #1711169] Tue, 13 October 2015 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From the Run Configuration panel...

index.php/fa/23523/0/

Expand "Workspace" and "Target Platform" to select the plugins as appropriate for your app. Then try "validate plug-ins" then try "Add required Plug-ins". See what that does to solve the missing class.
  • Attachment: Snap2.jpg
    (Size: 577.54KB, Downloaded 578 times)

Oxygen 3a
Windows 10
Re: Why do I only have "Custom plug-in wizard" in my list of available plug-in templates? [message #1711175 is a reply to message #1711171] Tue, 13 October 2015 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok. The person who originally wrote this plugin told me to set the "target platform" in global preferences to a particular entry associated with the application, which resolved this problem. I see that doing it the way you describe is another way of looking at this. I imagine what I did works when I'm only working on a single set of plugins, but if I was working on disparate and unrelated plugins in the same workspace, would that present problems?
Re: Why do I only have "Custom plug-in wizard" in my list of available plug-in templates? [message #1711176 is a reply to message #1711175] Tue, 13 October 2015 18:18 Go to previous message
I too have had issues trying to get "target platform" and "run configurations" to work at the same time on different apps. I don't know enough about the deep inner workings of each (target platform & run configurations) to guide you any farther. I have had to resort to switching back and forth with the "target platforms". Hopefully someone who knows more will join the conversations.

Oxygen 3a
Windows 10
Previous Topic:Best documentation/book resources to learn more about writing Eclipse plugins?
Next Topic:Problem with handler, command, and menu in simple tutorial
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:55:59 GMT 2024