Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Standard Widget Toolkit (SWT) » SWT Browser on Windows(What is the best alternative for the standard IE on Windows?)
SWT Browser on Windows [message #1710125] Sun, 04 October 2015 19:03 Go to next message
Thomas Kistel is currently offline Thomas KistelFriend
Hello,

I want to embed a Browser component into an SWT application (Eclipse RCP). We currently use the standard Internet Explorer to embed the Xopus Editor (http://www.xopus.com) in our application. The problems is, that the IE seems to have a serious memory problem with Xopus (I already tried -Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.IEVersion=10001/11001 etc. for different IE-Versions).
Therefore I tried the following alternatives:

• XUL-Runner 24: works ok (but Xopus website looks different Sad )
  • XUL-Runner 31: JVM crashes Sad (actually it should be supported by SWT 4.5, https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=437700)
  • Webkit: Does not work when I install the recent Safari (Version 5.1.7). JVM also crashes Sad
  • Embeed JavaFX WebView (using Webkit): seems to work for Java7/8 Smile (Javascript functions are a bit different)

Does anybody have experience with XUL-Runner 31 or Webkit and the SWT Browser on Windows systems? Are there any further installation steps or so? It seems to me, that the SWT-Webkit library is linked against an older Webkit version that is not compatible with the Webkit in Safary 5.1.7 (which is also relatively old).
Does anybody know the roadmap of SWT to support recent Browser engines?

Thank you and best regards
Thomas
Re: SWT Browser on Windows [message #1710786 is a reply to message #1710125] Fri, 09 October 2015 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Niraj Modi is currently offline Niraj ModiFriend
Hi Thomas,
Did you tried XUL-Runner 31 with latest Eclipse 4.5.1 release (there are important bug fixes made here) ?
If it's still crashes, let us know the steps to reproduce the scenario or you can directly raise a bugzilla bug report @ https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Platform
Re: SWT Browser on Windows [message #1712212 is a reply to message #1710786] Thu, 22 October 2015 05:17 Go to previous message
Thomas Kistel is currently offline Thomas KistelFriend
Hi Niraj,
thank you for the information. We've made a couple of tests with the new SWT library and it works fine with XUL-Runner 31. Great thing.
But I have a few more questions.

1. Does the recent SWT libary also support ESR releases of Firefox (i.e. version 31.8 ) if the XULRunnerPath is Firefox installation directory?
  2. Is there a roadmap or so how future browser versions will be supported by the SWT library?
  3. It was said that the XUL-Runner binaries are no longer supported by the Mozilla Foundation (bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=672509])!? Do you plan any changes here or only the XULRunnerPath needs to be changed to the firefox directory?

Thomas
Previous Topic:Browser widget does not display image that uses opacity from css
Next Topic:Enable Debug in Custom Editor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:02:24 GMT 2024