Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Workflow for Gerrit Code reviews in Platform UI(What is the suggested Gerrit workflow for a Platform UI contribution stuck in "Cannot Merge" state?)
Workflow for Gerrit Code reviews in Platform UI [message #1708849] Mon, 21 September 2015 20:42 Go to next message
Patrik Suzzi is currently offline Patrik SuzziFriend
Hallo,

I am a contributor and sometimes I push some Platform UI commits to Gerrit.

Unfortunately, sometime happens that a commit gets stuck into a "Cannot Merge" deadly loop.

Tipically the loop starts with this "Cannot merge" signal into my gerrit Change review page.

index.php/fa/23321/0/

Then, if no committer is actively looking at this, typically, the commits ends up to be one of the many commits in "Merge Conflict", that makes me feel guilty!

index.php/fa/23322/0/

I am really curious to know what the Eclipsetiquette is suggesting in this case.

In particular, in my case, I have two questions to understand "how it works":

• Which action should I take when my change is in "Merge Conflict"?
  • How can I check if other committers are willing to merge my change, without being too pushy?

Thank you for the time you're dedicating here.

With Respect
Re: Workflow for Gerrit Code reviews in Platform UI [message #1708851 is a reply to message #1708849] Mon, 21 September 2015 21:04 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
That means that the HEAD has moved on (other commits have been made) so your proposal cannot be merged as-is. Don't worry: we'll normally rebase or cherry-pick it to HEAD before submitting.

Really the best way to get your changes committed is to make sure you explain why the changes were necessary, along with potential interactions. Either annotate the code with good comments, or add them as a self-review on Gerrit. It takes work to do, but it's the time a committer is going to have to spend to understand your change. It shows you understand the code. That's my opinion, at least.

Brian.
Previous Topic:Switching Workspace problem
Next Topic:how to update editor input?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 23 01:34:42 GMT 2024