Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Fully remote projects using PTP or ?(Discussion about using fully remote C++ projects from windows->linux)
Fully remote projects using PTP or ? [message #1708832] Mon, 21 September 2015 15:21 Go to next message
adam myers is currently offline adam myersFriend
My compilation environment is difficult to replicate (and the run-time environment impossible to replicate) in, say, a virtual machine. For this reason, I highly favor a remote-only project. I've been using Netbeans to accomplish this. Although the functionality is limited, it is straight-forward to set up, and it has the minimum features (indexing, debugging, and a vi plugin).

I would much rather use Eclipse, and with the deprecation of the Remote Project plugins, PTP seems to be my best bet. The documentation[1] for PTP setup suggests that it is possible to have a fully remote project, but states that it has "limitations" and thus is not covered in the slides. I have spent a day or two trying to get it to work for me, but haven't had much luck at all. For now, I've decided it's impossible. For the record, my compilation environment is Linux, using GCC, and my development environment is Windows (although I could use a virtual machine, although I don't want to be required to compile in it).

Has anybody managed to get this to work? It would be an incredible boon to my team and our development process to have fully-remote projects available in Eclipse. Even if you can simply say "I've got it working", that would be enough to convince me to continue to try.

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/PTP/tutorials/XSEDE2015
Re: Fully remote projects using PTP or ? [message #1713837 is a reply to message #1708832] Fri, 06 November 2015 21:09 Go to previous message
Damian Graczyk is currently offline Damian GraczykFriend
Hi!

Somehow I managed to set this up and it is worth trying. My development environment is as yours - PC with Eclipse and Linux (Raspberry Pi 2) as a compilation environment. It took me four or five evenings to make it working though and I have to admit I am noob. Very Happy

I use Parallel Tools Platform plugin and create "synchronized projects". Compiling, building, indexing and code analysis works OK (and it's all done at the remote side - no need to copy over include files). Haven't try debugging yet. I used to have "merge errors" but it can be solved by filtering out executables and .o files in Synchronization options.

Hope it helps.

Best wishes,
Damian.
Previous Topic:arm ds-5_linux
Next Topic:Indexer can`t resolve symbols in C files, but resolve them in C++ files
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 06:59:16 GMT 2024