Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » e(fx)clipse » Use of 2.1.0 e(fx)clipse Target Definition breaks standard e4 application template.
Use of 2.1.0 e(fx)clipse Target Definition breaks standard e4 application template. [message #1708240] Mon, 14 September 2015 21:31 Go to next message
Paul Roubekas is currently offline Paul RoubekasFriend
Use of 2.1.0 e(fx)clipse Target Definition breaks standard e4 application template. I have created two e4 application projects/bundles to show what I am seeing. See screen captures for more details.

Manually adding the org.eclipse.set and org.eclipse.jface jars to the project preferences does not fix the issue either. The Target Definition does a nice job of trimming down the number of jars from 907 to 325. Maybe it trimmed the number of jars too much?

It seems there was an assumption that the if an application is going to use JavaFX and e(fx)clipse that swt and jface would not be needed. It also seems there is an unintended consequence to the assumption. As it stands now a developer must separate two different e4 applications into two workspaces, one for JavaFX and one for swt/jface. I would think this would be an issue for large applications that imbed other libraries, that use swt and /or jface, for a subset of application features. Or is there something wrong in my thinking?

The other option is switching between Target Definitions in a single workspace. But I don't see how that would work during build time.

index.php/fa/23258/0/

index.php/fa/23259/0/

index.php/fa/23260/0/

index.php/fa/23261/0/

index.php/fa/23262/0/

Oxygen 3a
Windows 10
Re: Use of 2.1.0 e(fx)clipse Target Definition breaks standard e4 application template. [message #1708243 is a reply to message #1708240] Mon, 14 September 2015 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe Van Steen is currently offline Joe Van SteenFriend
Paul,
If you wanted to use SWT and JFace why would you have moved to FX? If you only have a small amount of SWT (or Swing) you can do that under FX. Conversely, if you want to use a small amount of FX under SWT (or Swing) you can do that. But you need to choose a primary scheme for the GUI and GUI control of your application. The control systems are different. What is your product main control loop going to be, an FX system or a SWT system? I don't believe it can be both.

Whatever you choose, you can embed components of the other, but one system needs to be primary. See http://docs.oracle.com/javafx/2/swt_interoperability/jfxpub-swt_interoperability.htm and http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14812360/is-it-possible-to-embed-a-swt-composite-into-a-javafx-scene
Re: Use of 2.1.0 e(fx)clipse Target Definition breaks standard e4 application template. [message #1708245 is a reply to message #1708243] Mon, 14 September 2015 22:21 Go to previous message
Paul Roubekas is currently offline Paul RoubekasFriend
Excellent answer. Thanks for the links. That cleared up my confusion.

Oxygen 3a
Windows 10
Previous Topic:update of Target Platform to 2.1.0 fails
Next Topic:Creating App Bundle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 07:47:04 GMT 2024