Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » Two Packages in Ecore model and their relation
Two Packages in Ecore model and their relation [message #1707858] Wed, 09 September 2015 21:04 Go to next message
Parsa Pourali is currently offline Parsa PouraliFriend
Messages: 210
Registered: February 2014
Senior Member
Hi,

Can somebody explain what is the best of doing the following situation:

Assume that we have a class diagram meta model. For each class in the class digram, there is a behavioural diagram.

how do you resolver it in EMF ? should we create two EPackages and then reference a shared element in the two EPackages ? or what ... ?

Thanks,
Parsa
Re: Two Packages in Ecore model and their relation [message #1707886 is a reply to message #1707858] Thu, 10 September 2015 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Messages: 30353
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Parsa,

It's probably sufficient to have just one EPackage.

On 09/09/2015 11:04 PM, Parsa Pourali wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can somebody explain what is the best of doing the following situation:
>
> Assume that we have a class diagram meta model. For each class in the
> class digram, there is a behavioural diagram.
> how do you resolver it in EMF ? should we create two EPackages and
> then reference a shared element in the two EPackages ? or what ... ?
> Thanks,
> Parsa
Re: Two Packages in Ecore model and their relation [message #1707922 is a reply to message #1707858] Thu, 10 September 2015 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Messages: 6438
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi

You are confusing diagrams and models.

A diagram typically displays only a portion of the model, so you can
solve the entire problem with many diagrams and one metamodel (one
EPackage). UML 2.5 solves a similar problem with just one Package.

Regards

Ed Willink



On 09/09/2015 22:04, Parsa Pourali wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can somebody explain what is the best of doing the following situation:
>
> Assume that we have a class diagram meta model. For each class in the
> class digram, there is a behavioural diagram.
> how do you resolver it in EMF ? should we create two EPackages and
> then reference a shared element in the two EPackages ? or what ... ?
> Thanks,
> Parsa
Re: Two Packages in Ecore model and their relation [message #1707937 is a reply to message #1707922] Thu, 10 September 2015 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Parsa Pourali is currently offline Parsa PouraliFriend
Messages: 210
Registered: February 2014
Senior Member
Thanks for your replies.

OK, I got your point of mixing diagram and models... That's what I'm actually saying... if I have diagram1 displaying a portion of a model and diagram2 displaying the other portion of the model, how can we find their relation? Is there any way to link them together and show that these two diagrams are related ? Not sure if it is an EMF problem or GMF ...

As an example, let us assume that we have a world model (can be thought as a class diagram) of an automotive system, which has features. and then we want to draw behavioural model of the feature A in a separate diagram canvas. Is there any way to find that this feature diagram is for feature A in the world model ?

I was thinking of creating a EPackage of the behavioural meta-model and then reference it in the EPackage of world meta-model.

Sorry, I know it might be confusing ...
Thanks...
Parsa
Re: Two Packages in Ecore model and their relation [message #1707976 is a reply to message #1707937] Fri, 11 September 2015 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Messages: 6438
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi

Since everything that you describe is already solved by UML, I strongly
suggest you at least study UML before reimplementing what has taken the
world's experts quite some time.

Regards

Ed Willink


On 10/09/2015 17:14, Parsa Pourali wrote:
> Thanks for your replies.
> OK, I got your point of mixing diagram and models... That's what I'm
> actually saying... if I have diagram1 displaying a portion of a model
> and diagram2 displaying the other portion of the model, how can we
> find their relation? Is there any way to link them together and show
> that these two diagrams are related ? Not sure if it is an EMF problem
> or GMF ...
>
> As an example, let us assume that we have a world model (can be
> thought as a class diagram) of an automotive system, which has
> features. and then we want to draw behavioural model of the feature A
> in a separate diagram canvas. Is there any way to find that this
> feature diagram is for feature A in the world model ?
>
> I was thinking of creating a EPackage of the behavioural meta-model
> and then reference it in the EPackage of world meta-model.
>
> Sorry, I know it might be confusing ...
> Thanks...
> Parsa
Re: Two Packages in Ecore model and their relation [message #1708032 is a reply to message #1707976] Fri, 11 September 2015 15:00 Go to previous message
Parsa Pourali is currently offline Parsa PouraliFriend
Messages: 210
Registered: February 2014
Senior Member
Hi Ed,

UML is not Formal Smile that's why looking into a formal language, and we are tackling the problem in Feature-Oriented Software Development. UML is a multi-purpose and is too general for our use. We are going based on Jackson's formal RE definitions Smile

Anyways, my problem is not using UML or whatever better or worse than UML. The problem is how to correlate two diagram canvases ...

Regards,
Parsa
Previous Topic:Display properties of an eObject (EMF)
Next Topic:HOWTO? Lazily Loading HUGE References
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Aug 21 04:36:12 GMT 2019

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02141 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top