Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.executor.ApplicationClassLoader Memory Leak(Receiving Out Of Memory Error in BIRT Reports Application)
org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.executor.ApplicationClassLoader Memory Leak [message #1707106] Wed, 02 September 2015 11:41 Go to next message
Richard Riviere is currently offline Richard RiviereFriend
Hi,

I have a web application that I have integrated BIRT reports into. The version of the BIRT engine that I have used is 3.7.2. The application is deployed over IBM websphere 6.1.

For the most part the application works well but roughly once every two weeks I get an OutOfMemory Excetion on my WebSphere server. I've finally got my hands on a deap dump and I can see that the main offender is the following BIRT reports class...

org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.executor.ApplicationClassLoader

Unfortunately that's about all the information I have.

Does anyone know of any known issues with this class or can anyone suggest why I might be having this problem.

Thanks in advance.
Re: org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.executor.ApplicationClassLoader Memory Leak [message #1707605 is a reply to message #1707106] Mon, 07 September 2015 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
donino donino is currently offline donino doninoFriend
It doesn't help because most of the time class-loaders are on the top of a memory leak tree. Most likely this web application does not close BIRT tasks or documents properly. You need to investigate deeper the heap dump to find out the root cause, Eclipse MAT should be perfect to achieve this
Re: org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.executor.ApplicationClassLoader Memory Leak [message #1707634 is a reply to message #1707605] Tue, 08 September 2015 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prue IIBO is currently offline prue IIBOFriend
I had a similar problem but it was the excéution reports in BIRT.
I have thousands of record in the database and in addition I had done more joins in the data set. They offered me the solution to augment the size of the Java Virtual Machine (JVM). After several attempts I 've failed but I have just deleted some records and the problem was solved. the advantage is that c'tait just test data, so no disadvantages after the deletion.

If you can manage to increase the memory size of the JVM, your problem can be resolved.

Hope this helps you
Re: org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.executor.ApplicationClassLoader Memory Leak [message #1711436 is a reply to message #1707634] Fri, 16 October 2015 05:32 Go to previous message
Richard Riviere is currently offline Richard RiviereFriend
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

The comment made about ApplicationClassLoader only being the top level of the leek was very helpful and it lead me to analyzing the heap dump more.

The tree of the memory leak looks like this...

org/eclipse/birt/report/engine/executor/ApplicationClassLoader - 3,605,112 bytes
java/util/HashMap - 2,106,544 bytes
array of java/util/HashMap$Entry - 2,106,464 bytes
java/util/HashMap$Entry - 2,105,272 bytes
org/eclipse/birt/report/engine/api/HTMLRenderContext - 2,105,216 bytes
org/eclipse/birt/report/engine/api/RenderOption - 2,105,216 bytes
java/util/HashMap - 2,104,128 bytes
array of java/util/HashMap$Entry - 2,104,048 bytes
java/util/HashMap$Entry - 2,097,264 bytes
java/io/ByteArrayOutputStream - 2,097,264 bytes
byte[] - 2,097,168 bytes

I have about 10 of these same trees in my heapdump which is a pretty good indicator that this is the leak.

I recently also enabled the Engine logging in my web application and I can see that I am getting these errors in my engine logs.

Sep 17, 2015 1:08:26 PM org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.emitter.excel.ExcelUtil
WARNING: The sheetName Price Override report by weekending date is too long for output.

Does anyone have an idea if these warnings would be related to the memory leaks and if not does anyone have an advice for me in regards to investigating this further?

thanking you in advance

Previous Topic:BIRT 4.5 XLSX Export using ExcelEmitter.TemplateFile
Next Topic:Exception when ResultSet is empty
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 23:59:46 GMT 2024