Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » Not getting it work(Impossible to complete the minicrm tutorial)
icon13.gif  Not getting it work [message #1706920] Mon, 31 August 2015 20:34 Go to next message
Andrea Dalseno is currently offline Andrea DalsenoFriend
Hi, I've just installed a fresh new copy of Eclipse Scout, create a new workbench and started to follow the minicrm tutorial, but it does not work!
I created the project and it worked fine. I can start the server (dev) and it runs ok, but when I start the client, no matter which one, I always get a Socket Exception error: impossible to contact the server, check the name or the address.
What's wrong?
Furthermore I tried to install the postgresql jdbc driver, but it doesn't work. If I try to install it from the marketplace I get an error saying the driver is not available (Oracle and Mysql seem ok). If I do it inside scout I get no error but the driver is not loaded!
I'm on a Mac, 10.10.5.
Thank in advance.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 September 2015 08:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Not getting it work [message #1706959 is a reply to message #1706920] Tue, 01 September 2015 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Zimmermann is currently offline Matthias ZimmermannFriend
hi andrea

hard to tell given the description. could you also attach the following:

• config.ini of your server (eg. {$workspace}\com.yourapplication.server\products\development\config.ini)
  • config.ini of your client (eg. {$workspace}\com.yourapplication.ui.rap\products\development\config.ini)
  • server startup log (or what you see in the console in the Eclipse IDE)
  • client startup log (or what you see in the console AFTER you connect with the browser to the rap server)

tx
matthias

[Updated on: Tue, 01 September 2015 08:02]

Re: Not getting it work [message #1706968 is a reply to message #1706959] Tue, 01 September 2015 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, I've uploaded the requested files. The ini files are in their original form, as built form the wizard (I haven't touched them).
Since I had an unexpected error this time with the RAP client I sent you also the startup log of the swt client.

What about postrges drivers?
Re: Not getting it work [message #1706973 is a reply to message #1706968] Tue, 01 September 2015 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from the log files it seems that something is blocking the connection: Caused by: ProcessingException[ProcessingStatus[ERROR code=0 Calling ICodeService.getAllCodeTypeClasses() java.net.SocketException: Operation not permitted]] (this is the point in class ClientSession where the client tries to connect to the server for the first time)

can you access one of the following pages from the browser?
http://localhost:8080/minicrm_server/process
http://localhost:8080/minicrm_server/

regarding the postgresql driver i will ask around.

ps. from the rap client startup log it seems that your product is missing the org.eclipse.scout.rt.ui.rap bundle. to investigate, check your corresponding product (eg minicrm-rap-dev.product) file for problems.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 September 2015 08:52]

Re: Not getting it work [message #1707172 is a reply to message #1706973] Wed, 02 September 2015 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I can access the server with the browser for both the addresses and it works fine.
I don't know why the error with the RAP client arose. It worked, but did not connect, when I created the application, through the wizard, then it stopped working, but the only thing I changed was the (failed) installation of the postgres driver (and I removed the Derby one, but if this were the problem it should affect all the client, shouldn't it?).
Re: Not getting it work [message #1707238 is a reply to message #1707172] Thu, 03 September 2015 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you are right: removing the derby driver shouldn't affect the client. i also asked around regarding the postgres driver installation on the mac platform and also there we are currently not aware of issues.
when you start with a new empty workspace, do you manage to produce a working hello world application with a rap client?
Re: Not getting it work [message #1707288 is a reply to message #1707238] Thu, 03 September 2015 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I apologize for the late replies, but I'm pretty busy in these days.
Regarding the postgres driver I tried to install them using the marketplace.
The installation process starts, shows three drivers (Postgres, Oracle and Mysql) but when I try to install them it says that postgres driver is not available (Oracle and Mysql install fine).
I tried to create the helloworld app. The wizard creates it without any error, I can launch the sever (and it works http://localhost:8080/helloworld_server/), but when I start the RAP client I get the same error (my JRE is 1.7.0_51).
Re: Not getting it work [message #1707300 is a reply to message #1707288] Thu, 03 September 2015 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
regarding the rap client not connecting to the scout server: this is very unexpected Sad could you please zip your helloworld-workspace and make it downloadable in a public space (dropbox etc.)? we would then have a look at it
regarding the postgres driver issue: could you try to install the driver using the checkbox in the scout sdk? did you follow the tutorial [1] on the wiki?

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Scout/Tutorial/5.0/Add_JDBC_Drivers_for_Eclipse_Scout
Re: Not getting it work [message #1707314 is a reply to message #1707300] Thu, 03 September 2015 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I already tried to install the postgres driver from inside scout, but it didn't work (the drivers are not downloaded) so I tried to install it from the marketplace without any luck (they are missing).

I recreated the workspace and the HelloWolrd app (same error as before), zipped the workspace (with only the hello world inside) and put it on a Google Drive but I cannot put a link to the outside. So I've uploaded it here
Re: Not getting it work [message #1707546 is a reply to message #1707314] Mon, 07 September 2015 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the zip, andrea. we were able to look at the zipped workspace and it seems to work out of the box on the mac of a colleague. he also tried activating his (default) firewall and the client could still connect to the sever (both on localhost). now, we are not sure what to propose ...

might it be an issue with your jvm (we tried 1.7 and 1.8 )? asking google for the symptoms turned out a bunch of links. you might want to check out this one [1] or try to identify other directions to search.

[1] https://intellij-support.jetbrains.com/hc/en-us/articles/206827597-Network-connectivity-issues-when-running-under-Java-1-7

[Updated on: Mon, 07 September 2015 08:49]

Re: Not getting it work [message #1707995 is a reply to message #1707546] Fri, 11 September 2015 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried to update to Java ( 1.8.0_60) but I get always the same error. The solution suggested (the link) doesn't seem to fit. Sincerely I have no idea: Scout is a fresh installation, Os X (Yosemite) is up to date (and has no problem), the workspace is brand new, it's not a problem of firewall, it is supposed to work, but it does not.
Re: Not getting it work [message #1708003 is a reply to message #1707995] Fri, 11 September 2015 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we are honestly running out of ideas. especially as the provided workspace is working on our mac. potential next ideas are to verify the basic technology behind the scout client-server communication. imlement the most simple socket server/client pair [1] and check if this works. if not getting that to work would be the next step. if it works proceed a servlet client/server setup [2]. the provided links are somewhat arbitrary, you might find others that are a better fit for your situation.

[1] eg. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/socket-140484.html
[2] eg. http://www.javaworld.com/article/2077329/java-web-development/clients-can-invoke-servlets-too.html

Re: Not getting it work [message #1710084 is a reply to message #1708003] Sat, 03 October 2015 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi, problem solved. My antivirus (actually the firewall) was blocking java connections! Now it's working fine. Thank you very much for your help!
Re: Not getting it work [message #1710168 is a reply to message #1710084] Mon, 05 October 2015 07:36 Go to previous message
glad you could resolve these issues and thanks for letting us know Smile
Previous Topic:table row context menu when table is empty
Next Topic:MS-SQL jdbc connection bundle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 23 17:23:12 GMT 2024