Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » how to debug with eclipse(missing debug file?)
how to debug with eclipse [message #1706593] Fri, 28 August 2015 01:52 Go to next message
John Gray is currently offline John GrayFriend
I'm merrily debugging away when suddenly I get this ugliness:

Can't find a source file at "/home/gfortran/gcc-home/workshop/gcc/objdir/x86_64-w64-mingw32/libstdc++-v3/include/bits/char_traits.h" 
Locate the file or edit the source lookup path to include its location.

Does anyone recognize the is error or have a solution to it? Possibly this is the result of installation when I declined fortran installation. I'm trying to hone my debugging skills but this error shuts it down completely.

Help?

[Updated on: Fri, 28 August 2015 18:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: how to debug with eclipse [message #1706748 is a reply to message #1706593] Sat, 29 August 2015 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
Somehow whatever is issuing this message ( gdb? it's not clear) thinks what should be a gcc include file from the c++ std:: library is on that path.

The path seems strange.
GCC is installed under /home/gfortran and not under /usr/... or other system path?
Normally one wouldn't expect to find a source file on a path containing ... /objdir/ ...

You should supply more than you have. Like: how exactly have things been installed and specifics like what you were doing when you got this message.

When did you "decline fortran installation"? During the installation of gcc?
Why is this a CDT question?

Update:

I Googled Locate the file or edit the source lookup path to include its location -- something you should have done. It lead to

this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11795030/debugging-with-eclipse-cdt-and-gdb-cant-find-source-file
which linked to this: https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/57027/

The steps in the second link seem likely to solve your problem.

[Updated on: Sun, 30 August 2015 09:23]

Re: how to debug with eclipse [message #1706769 is a reply to message #1706748] Sun, 30 August 2015 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did google it. Ive been grappling with this for a while.

The consensus was if you don't know your way around a "system" header file, its pretty risky to fix it without some more informed helped, which is why I posted. The frequency usually occurs during debugging around lines with iostream commands - cout, cin, etc.
When did you "decline fortran installation"? During the installation of gcc? Yes, I believe so. I was taking a tutorial and the instructor in the tutorial said to install this but skip over the fortran, etc.

Thank you your time in posting the link.

[Updated on: Sun, 30 August 2015 23:51]

Re: how to debug with eclipse [message #1706831 is a reply to message #1706769] Mon, 31 August 2015 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
Well, when you're starting out, it's sometimes difficult to know how to frame questions or what to search for.

The first link I posted was the second in the search result list. And there were quite a few with "Can't find ... " in the titles that seemed similar to what you described.
Took me less than five minutes total.
Why didn't the instructor of your tutorial know the answer?

You still haven't said what exactly you were doing when you got the message.This sometimes occurs when stepping into library routine calls instead of stepping over them. If this is the case the solution is simple: don't step into library calls.
Re: how to debug with eclipse [message #1706888 is a reply to message #1706831] Mon, 31 August 2015 15:37 Go to previous message
Yes - that's probably it..stepping into library calls. I need to spend more time wit the debugger and learn more to avoid this trap. I really really want to learn debugging - a lot of folks say this is a great companion to writing the code.

It was a video tutorial ... couldn't ask the question so ive moved on to a better source.

Thank you for your time
Previous Topic:Getting c++0x working
Next Topic:Old output keeps displaying, till process is ended in task manager
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 04:40:16 GMT 2024