Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » EMF and equinox
EMF and equinox [message #1706420] Wed, 26 August 2015 18:46 Go to next message
Martin Tauber is currently offline Martin TauberFriend
Messages: 122
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi everybody,

I would like to write an equinox based application using emf. So I created
my little plugin using my model and the generated emf (model) code. This
plugin is obviously dependent on org.eclipse.emf.ecore since it uses
EObject ... so far so good. If i now load my plugin in equinox, it is not
loaded since it is org.eclipse.emf.ecore requires org.eclipse.core.runtime
(and some 24 others). And these again require another roundabout 50
plugins ....

well this is just to much. besides I'm at the end getting errors of
plugins that I'm by far not interested.

Isn't there a slim way of loading an emf dependent plugin in equinox?

Thanks
Martin
Re: EMF and equinox [message #1706457 is a reply to message #1706420] Thu, 27 August 2015 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Messages: 30372
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
In this bugzilla we made changes so EMF should run on Felix, so I'm not
sure why it wouldn't run without the core runtime, which is optional for
the EMF core runtime.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=398741

Yes, at development time, you'll need to compile against the core
runtime (if you have plugin classes), but it should (maybe) work at
runtime without that.


On 26/08/2015 8:46 PM, Martin Tauber wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I would like to write an equinox based application using emf. So I
> created my little plugin using my model and the generated emf (model)
> code. This plugin is obviously dependent on org.eclipse.emf.ecore
> since it uses EObject ... so far so good. If i now load my plugin in
> equinox, it is not loaded since it is org.eclipse.emf.ecore requires
> org.eclipse.core.runtime (and some 24 others). And these again require
> another roundabout 50 plugins ....
>
> well this is just to much. besides I'm at the end getting errors of
> plugins that I'm by far not interested.
>
> Isn't there a slim way of loading an emf dependent plugin in equinox?
>
> Thanks
> Martin
Re: EMF and equinox [message #1707178 is a reply to message #1706457] Wed, 02 September 2015 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Tauber is currently offline Martin TauberFriend
Messages: 122
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Ed,

i have not checked the source code, but if I use the eclipse "Run
Configurations" and
(1) deselect everything,
(2) then just select org.eclipse.emf.ecore and
(3) deselect the "Include Optional Dependencies ..." checkbox
(4) and then press "Add required Bundles"

org.eclipse.core.runtime is selected among others ...

also my bundle does not load since org.eclipse.emf.ecore fails to load
it's dependencies .... so to me it looks like id really depends on
org.ecliplse.core.runtime

i worked around it by creating my own bundle which includes only the jars
"org.eclipse.emf.common" and "org.eclipse.emf.ecore" with no dependencies
and exporting the packages i use ...

regards
Martin

Am .08.2015, 07:02 Uhr, schrieb Ed Merks <ed.merks@xxxxxxxx>:

> In this bugzilla we made changes so EMF should run on Felix, so I'm not
> sure why it wouldn't run without the core runtime, which is optional for
> the EMF core runtime.
>
> https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=398741
>
> Yes, at development time, you'll need to compile against the core
> runtime (if you have plugin classes), but it should (maybe) work at
> runtime without that.
>
>
> On 26/08/2015 8:46 PM, Martin Tauber wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I would like to write an equinox based application using emf. So I
>> created my little plugin using my model and the generated emf (model)
>> code. This plugin is obviously dependent on org.eclipse.emf.ecore since
>> it uses EObject ... so far so good. If i now load my plugin in equinox,
>> it is not loaded since it is org.eclipse.emf.ecore requires
>> org.eclipse.core.runtime (and some 24 others). And these again require
>> another roundabout 50 plugins ....
>>
>> well this is just to much. besides I'm at the end getting errors of
>> plugins that I'm by far not interested.
>>
>> Isn't there a slim way of loading an emf dependent plugin in equinox?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Martin
>


--
Erstellt mit Operas E-Mail-Modul: http://www.opera.com/mail/
Re: EMF and equinox [message #1707222 is a reply to message #1707178] Thu, 03 September 2015 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Messages: 30372
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Martin,

Comments below.

On 02/09/2015 10:20 PM, Martin Tauber wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
> i have not checked the source code, but if I use the eclipse "Run
> Configurations" and
> (1) deselect everything,
> (2) then just select org.eclipse.emf.ecore and
> (3) deselect the "Include Optional Dependencies ..." checkbox
> (4) and then press "Add required Bundles"
>
> org.eclipse.core.runtime is selected among others ...
A huge set of things is selected. I suspect it's taking into account
the requirements of the product or application you have selected on the
first page.
>
> also my bundle does not load since org.eclipse.emf.ecore fails to load
> it's dependencies .... so to me it looks like id really depends on
> org.ecliplse.core.runtime
In an Eclipse product/application launch, yes it needs the core
runtime. The plugin classes extend org.eclipse.core.runtime.Plugin so
this is definitely needed if any kind of bundle activators are needed.
>
> i worked around it by creating my own bundle which includes only the
> jars "org.eclipse.emf.common" and "org.eclipse.emf.ecore" with no
> dependencies and exporting the packages i use ...
>
> regards
> Martin
>
> Am .08.2015, 07:02 Uhr, schrieb Ed Merks <ed.merks@xxxxxxxx>:
>
>> In this bugzilla we made changes so EMF should run on Felix, so I'm
>> not sure why it wouldn't run without the core runtime, which is
>> optional for the EMF core runtime.
>>
>> https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=398741
>>
>> Yes, at development time, you'll need to compile against the core
>> runtime (if you have plugin classes), but it should (maybe) work at
>> runtime without that.
>>
>>
>> On 26/08/2015 8:46 PM, Martin Tauber wrote:
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> I would like to write an equinox based application using emf. So I
>>> created my little plugin using my model and the generated emf
>>> (model) code. This plugin is obviously dependent on
>>> org.eclipse.emf.ecore since it uses EObject ... so far so good. If i
>>> now load my plugin in equinox, it is not loaded since it is
>>> org.eclipse.emf.ecore requires org.eclipse.core.runtime (and some 24
>>> others). And these again require another roundabout 50 plugins ....
>>>
>>> well this is just to much. besides I'm at the end getting errors of
>>> plugins that I'm by far not interested.
>>>
>>> Isn't there a slim way of loading an emf dependent plugin in equinox?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Martin
>>
>
>
Re: EMF and equinox [message #1707232 is a reply to message #1707178] Thu, 03 September 2015 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Messages: 6440
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi

You have to work quite hard to keep a standalone classpath under
control. You want nearly nothing, so start with nothing and add
libraries one at a time to resolve CNFEs.

Attached is the launch configuration that demonstrates that the
Ecore-based OCL JUnit tests can be run standalone.



No org.eclipse.core.runtime.

It only needs org.eclipse.osgi and that probably only for NLS.bind().

Regards

Ed Willink

On 02/09/2015 21:20, Martin Tauber wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
> i have not checked the source code, but if I use the eclipse "Run
> Configurations" and
> (1) deselect everything,
> (2) then just select org.eclipse.emf.ecore and
> (3) deselect the "Include Optional Dependencies ..." checkbox
> (4) and then press "Add required Bundles"
>
> org.eclipse.core.runtime is selected among others ...
>
> also my bundle does not load since org.eclipse.emf.ecore fails to load
> it's dependencies .... so to me it looks like id really depends on
> org.ecliplse.core.runtime
>
> i worked around it by creating my own bundle which includes only the
> jars "org.eclipse.emf.common" and "org.eclipse.emf.ecore" with no
> dependencies and exporting the packages i use ...
>
> regards
> Martin
>
> Am .08.2015, 07:02 Uhr, schrieb Ed Merks <ed.merks@xxxxxxxx>:
>
>> In this bugzilla we made changes so EMF should run on Felix, so I'm
>> not sure why it wouldn't run without the core runtime, which is
>> optional for the EMF core runtime.
>>
>> https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=398741
>>
>> Yes, at development time, you'll need to compile against the core
>> runtime (if you have plugin classes), but it should (maybe) work at
>> runtime without that.
>>
>>
>> On 26/08/2015 8:46 PM, Martin Tauber wrote:
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> I would like to write an equinox based application using emf. So I
>>> created my little plugin using my model and the generated emf
>>> (model) code. This plugin is obviously dependent on
>>> org.eclipse.emf.ecore since it uses EObject ... so far so good. If i
>>> now load my plugin in equinox, it is not loaded since it is
>>> org.eclipse.emf.ecore requires org.eclipse.core.runtime (and some 24
>>> others). And these again require another roundabout 50 plugins ....
>>>
>>> well this is just to much. besides I'm at the end getting errors of
>>> plugins that I'm by far not interested.
>>>
>>> Isn't there a slim way of loading an emf dependent plugin in equinox?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Martin
>>
>
>
Re: EMF and equinox [message #1707233 is a reply to message #1707232] Thu, 03 September 2015 08:07 Go to previous message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Messages: 6440
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
<html>
<head>
<meta content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-15"
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
<div class="moz-cite-prefix">Hi<br>
<br>
Missing picture:<br>
<br>
<img src="https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=getfile&amp;id=23117" alt=""><br>
<br>
On 03/09/2015 09:06, Ed Willink wrote:<br>
</div>
<blockquote cite="mid:ms8v1k$59k$1@xxxxxxxxe.org" type="cite"><br>
<br>
Attached is the launch configuration that demonstrates that the
Ecore-based OCL JUnit tests can be run standalone.
<br>
<br>
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
</body>
</html>
  • Attachment: dfecigdd.png
    (Size: 15.81KB, Downloaded 88 times)
Previous Topic:NullPointerException on ensureChunk
Next Topic:EReference Tree
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Aug 23 21:48:35 GMT 2019

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02270 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top