Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Use Eclipse 4.x as development environment for Eclipse 3.x rcp/plugin?(Wish to separate dev environment from runtime environment)
Use Eclipse 4.x as development environment for Eclipse 3.x rcp/plugin? [message #1705612] Mon, 17 August 2015 19:33 Go to next message
Erika Redmark is currently offline Erika RedmarkFriend
My specific situation is I want to use the latest version of Groovy (as well as Java 8) for my RCP/Plugin application, and those don't appear to be available for Eclipse 3.x. However, due to constraints regarding supporting Eclipse 3.x (due to other vendors having stayed at that version) I have to develop a 3.x application, not a 4.x application.

Having said that, I can only get the two to run when using Eclipse 3.x as a development environment. If I copy and move the workspace over to 4.x the PDE plugin will try and launch things expecting a 4.x environment which appears to be giving me issues. Everything online seems to be tutorials migrating from 3.x to 4.x. I don't wish to migrate, I wish to use Eclipse 4 for dev, and compile against as well as run within Eclipse 3, so I can use all the latest tooling features for groovy and Java 8 yet still run against an older version of Eclipse. Is this even possible?
Re: Use Eclipse 4.x as development environment for Eclipse 3.x rcp/plugin? [message #1705800 is a reply to message #1705612] Wed, 19 August 2015 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
You need to set 3.x as the target platform

Tom

On 17.08.15 21:33, Erika Redmark wrote:
> My specific situation is I want to use the latest version of Groovy (as
> well as Java 8) for my RCP/Plugin application, and those don't appear to
> be available for Eclipse 3.x. However, due to constraints regarding
> supporting Eclipse 3.x (due to other vendors having stayed at that
> version) I have to develop a 3.x application, not a 4.x application.
> Having said that, I can only get the two to run when using Eclipse 3.x
> as a development environment. If I copy and move the workspace over to
> 4.x the PDE plugin will try and launch things expecting a 4.x
> environment which appears to be giving me issues. Everything online
> seems to be tutorials migrating from 3.x to 4.x. I don't wish to
> migrate, I wish to use Eclipse 4 for dev, and compile against as well as
> run within Eclipse 3, so I can use all the latest tooling features for
> groovy and Java 8 yet still run against an older version of Eclipse. Is
> this even possible?
Re: Use Eclipse 4.x as development environment for Eclipse 3.x rcp/plugin? [message #1705904 is a reply to message #1705800] Wed, 19 August 2015 22:31 Go to previous message
Erika Redmark is currently offline Erika RedmarkFriend
I looked that up and set it up with my Eclipse 3 installation and it worked. I'll switch it to something more generic so it isn't machine specific but the Target Platform is indeed the thing I needed to modify. Unfortunately, all google searches for running Eclipse 3 plugins/rcp apps from Eclipse 4 kept hitting migration tutorials so I had ended up going down the wrong path. Thanks for your help.
Previous Topic:How to detect modified files?
Next Topic:Access Editor characters/glyphs or whole area graphics pixel data
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 21 19:19:23 GMT 2024