Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » Channel marked as advanced
Channel marked as advanced [message #1705239] Thu, 13 August 2015 08:32 Go to next message
Smart Home is currently offline Smart HomeFriend
Hi,

The documentation says:

Quote:
The advanced property indicates whether this channel is a basic or a more specific functionality of the thing. If advanced is set to true a user interface may hide this channel by default.

But the ThingSetupManager by default doesn't link a channel to an item:

if (channelType != null && !channelType.isAdvanced()) {

For me it seems that the channel should be linked to the item and if the "User Interface" doesn't want to show the item it should hide it.

I will appreciate if you can explain why the ThingSetupManager doesn't link the channel to an Item? Do you consider the ThingSetupManager as part of the UI?

Thx
Re: Channel marked as advanced [message #1705411 is a reply to message #1705239] Fri, 14 August 2015 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
In some way, the ThingSetupManager is indeed part of the UI - you can consider it as a supportive server part for the Paper UI. I would not really recommend to use it for any other purposes.
So the fact that the Paper UI creates items for the non-advanced channels is actually the "unusual" thing and not the fact that it does not create items for the advanced ones.
From my point of view, it should always be the user, who creates the items and links them to a channel - the Paper UI just takes a shortcut here to provide a very simple mode for beginners.
Re: Channel marked as advanced [message #1705523 is a reply to message #1705411] Mon, 17 August 2015 11:40 Go to previous message
Dennis Nobel is currently offline Dennis NobelFriend
Quote:
ThingSetupManager is indeed part of the UI

I would not see it as part of the UI and especially not as a part of the Paper UI. The ThingSetupManager is also used in another commercial product to setup things together with items and links. It is also used for the console. The ThingSetupManager also has the option to not create items and we could also add the option to create all items.

The reason why it not creates all items by default is, that many bindings (e.g. Sonos binding) have so many channels, that it was better to only activate the "important" channels. But the user can always activate and deactivate channels later.

Previous Topic:System Channel Config Description
Next Topic:Timer triggers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 19:13:57 GMT 2024