Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » System state(How to notify thing on system state)
System state [message #1704968] Tue, 11 August 2015 08:15 Go to next message
Smart Home is currently offline Smart HomeFriend
Hi,

I need a way to notify he Thing what is the current system state. The system state is something I defined and can be controlled by the user. I need the Thing to keep the state while it is active.

My question is, what is the right / best way to handle this case? Is there built in mechanism in the SmartHome framework for this case/

Thx
Re: System state [message #1704993 is a reply to message #1704968] Tue, 11 August 2015 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
It very much depends on what the "system state" should be. So if this is something custom to your solution, you can implement some custom way to access it from your ThingHandler (e.g. through an OSGi service or a static helper class).
If you are asking for a "system state" as a feature within the ESH framework, please define in detail what you expect there.

Cheers,
Kai
Re: System state [message #1705000 is a reply to message #1704993] Tue, 11 August 2015 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smart Home is currently offline Smart HomeFriend
Kai,

System state might be a custom issue to my system but I try always not to invent features and to stick to the provided capabilities (and BTW, SmartHome eclipse is great framework).

What I am missing (for now Smile) are two capabilities which I think one of them was already discussed:

1. The ability to save information in Thing which will be used by the thing. E.g., I need to notify the units to go to power mode state. The notification to the units will be done in the future. So when the user set this mode, I should save it in the Thing context for future use.
Also, when new thing is added, it should also get this state.

BTW, currently the option I see is somehow to use the configuration. This way I don't need to add new private mechanism.

2. The ability to send a unit message not through a channel. something like reset.

Re: System state [message #1710937 is a reply to message #1705000] Sun, 11 October 2015 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Markus Rathgeb is currently offline Markus RathgebFriend

Isn't that the same thing Chris worked on for Z-Wave devices?
Re: System state [message #1711026 is a reply to message #1710937] Mon, 12 October 2015 13:19 Go to previous message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
Sorry that this thread got out of sight.

1. Possibly Thing properties could be used here. They are normally not shown in the UI, but are persisted with the Thing (if this is important - otherwise, simply keep information in memory in your handler)

2. How should this be made available in the UI? As part of the Thing configuration? Yes, then this is similar to the discussion with Chris about ConfigActions, see https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/1694421/
Previous Topic:ZWave thing descriptions, and HABmin label conventions...
Next Topic:UPnP GENA Subscriptions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 17:39:50 GMT 2024