Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Can Papyrus convert uml file to xmi file?
Can Papyrus convert uml file to xmi file? [message #1704948] Tue, 11 August 2015 03:24 Go to next message
jiang lin is currently offline jiang linFriend
Messages: 2
Registered: August 2015
Junior Member
Hello there,
I am new to Papyrus and I have tried to find a good way to convert a .uml file that was generate from Papyrus to .xmi file,but I don't know how to do it.Could you point me what I could do to get it by Papyrus or another tools?

Thanks!

Lin
Re: Can Papyrus convert uml file to xmi file? [message #1705086 is a reply to message #1704948] Wed, 12 August 2015 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Rivet is currently offline Charles RivetFriend
Messages: 219
Registered: May 2014
Location: Canada
Senior Member

Hi Lin,

The .uml file is already an XMI file.

Could you please explain further what you need or want to accomplish?


/Charles Rivet
Re: Can Papyrus convert uml file to xmi file? [message #1705231 is a reply to message #1705086] Thu, 13 August 2015 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jiang lin is currently offline jiang linFriend
Messages: 2
Registered: August 2015
Junior Member
Hi,
Thank you for your attention!
After I generated a Papyrus project,the three files had also been generated.They are .di, .notation,and .uml.I can not figure out what they are used to do.And .di file is a uml file?.notation file is an xml file?

Thanks!

Lin
Re: Can Papyrus convert uml file to xmi file? [message #1705550 is a reply to message #1705231] Mon, 17 August 2015 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Rivet is currently offline Charles RivetFriend
Messages: 219
Registered: May 2014
Location: Canada
Senior Member

Hi Lin,

The "di" file is just a placeholder for the other two, mainly a UI construct to "hide" the multiple underlying files.

The "uml" file contains the actual UML model, as per the OMG UML specification for serializing a model. This file only contains the model itself and no notational elements, i.e., no diagram information.

The "notation" file contains all the notational elements of the model (i.e., the diagrams).

All three files are XML files, so you can open them in a text editor and look at their content - but please let the tool modify what they contain lest you get incorrect files.


/Charles Rivet
Re: Can Papyrus convert uml file to xmi file? [message #1705563 is a reply to message #1705550] Mon, 17 August 2015 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Damus is currently offline Christian DamusFriend
Messages: 1207
Registered: July 2009
Location: Canada
Senior Member

Hi,

To be precise, the *.uml serialization format is an XMI format, but it
is not the XMI prescribed by OMG for UML models. It is an
Eclipse-specific XMI serialization, as indicated by the declaration of
EMF and Eclipse namespaces instead of the OMG's UML and XMI namespaces.

The UML2 project provides at least the means to convert OMG-compliant
UML XMI resources to Eclipse UML. I would expect that it provides the
reverse (exporting Eclipse UML to OMG UML-XMI) but I don't know the
details of that. Best to ask about it on the eclipse.modeling.mdt.uml2
newsgroup.

Cheers,

Christian


On 2015-08-17 13:07:17 +0000, Charles Rivet said:

> Hi Lin,
>
> The "di" file is just a placeholder for the other two, mainly a UI
> construct to "hide" the multiple underlying files.
>
> The "uml" file contains the actual UML model, as per the OMG UML
> specification for serializing a model. This file only contains the
> model itself and no notational elements, i.e., no diagram information.
>
> The "notation" file contains all the notational elements of the model
> (i.e., the diagrams).
>
> All three files are XML files, so you can open them in a text editor
> and look at their content - but please let the tool modify what they
> contain lest you get incorrect files.
Re: Can Papyrus convert uml file to xmi file? [message #1705589 is a reply to message #1705563] Mon, 17 August 2015 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Messages: 6795
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi

Just File->SaveAs *.xmi in the UML Model Editor. (Or equivalent *.xmi
URI programmatically.)

Regards

Ed Willink

On 17/08/2015 15:05, Christian W. Damus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> To be precise, the *.uml serialization format is an XMI format, but it
> is not the XMI prescribed by OMG for UML models. It is an
> Eclipse-specific XMI serialization, as indicated by the declaration of
> EMF and Eclipse namespaces instead of the OMG's UML and XMI namespaces.
>
> The UML2 project provides at least the means to convert OMG-compliant
> UML XMI resources to Eclipse UML. I would expect that it provides the
> reverse (exporting Eclipse UML to OMG UML-XMI) but I don't know the
> details of that. Best to ask about it on the
> eclipse.modeling.mdt.uml2 newsgroup.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Christian
>
>
> On 2015-08-17 13:07:17 +0000, Charles Rivet said:
>
>> Hi Lin,
>>
>> The "di" file is just a placeholder for the other two, mainly a UI
>> construct to "hide" the multiple underlying files.
>>
>> The "uml" file contains the actual UML model, as per the OMG UML
>> specification for serializing a model. This file only contains the
>> model itself and no notational elements, i.e., no diagram information.
>>
>> The "notation" file contains all the notational elements of the model
>> (i.e., the diagrams).
>>
>> All three files are XML files, so you can open them in a text editor
>> and look at their content - but please let the tool modify what they
>> contain lest you get incorrect files.
>
>
Re: Can Papyrus convert uml file to xmi file? [message #1705603 is a reply to message #1705589] Mon, 17 August 2015 17:37 Go to previous message
Christian Damus is currently offline Christian DamusFriend
Messages: 1207
Registered: July 2009
Location: Canada
Senior Member

Now, where's my big red "That Was Easy" button?

:-)

Thanks, Ed


On 2015-08-17 16:23:52 +0000, Ed Willink said:

> Hi
>
> Just File->SaveAs *.xmi in the UML Model Editor. (Or equivalent *.xmi
> URI programmatically.)
>
> Regards
>
> Ed Willink
>
> On 17/08/2015 15:05, Christian W. Damus wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> To be precise, the *.uml serialization format is an XMI format, but it
>> is not the XMI prescribed by OMG for UML models. It is an
>> Eclipse-specific XMI serialization, as indicated by the declaration of
>> EMF and Eclipse namespaces instead of the OMG's UML and XMI namespaces.
>>
>> The UML2 project provides at least the means to convert OMG-compliant
>> UML XMI resources to Eclipse UML. I would expect that it provides the
>> reverse (exporting Eclipse UML to OMG UML-XMI) but I don't know the
>> details of that. Best to ask about it on the eclipse.modeling.mdt.uml2
>> newsgroup.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Christian
>>
>>
>> On 2015-08-17 13:07:17 +0000, Charles Rivet said:
>>
>>> Hi Lin,
>>>
>>> The "di" file is just a placeholder for the other two, mainly a UI
>>> construct to "hide" the multiple underlying files.
>>>
>>> The "uml" file contains the actual UML model, as per the OMG UML
>>> specification for serializing a model. This file only contains the
>>> model itself and no notational elements, i.e., no diagram information.
>>>
>>> The "notation" file contains all the notational elements of the model
>>> (i.e., the diagrams).
>>>
>>> All three files are XML files, so you can open them in a text editor
>>> and look at their content - but please let the tool modify what they
>>> contain lest you get incorrect files.
Previous Topic:.UML to .XML transformation
Next Topic:Oomph-Luna-Papyrus installation Error
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Aug 07 19:46:18 GMT 2020

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02391 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top