Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Working Sets(How to use working sets)
Working Sets [message #1704215] Sun, 09 August 2015 03:02 Go to next message
Garrett Gaston is currently offline Garrett GastonFriend
I've just learned about working sets but I still am not sure on how they work or if they're going to be the answer I was wanting them to be.

When I click the down arrow on Project explorer and the select 'Select Working Set', check the desired set and then click okay everything in the project explorer goes away, even the projects that are part of that working set? The only way I'm able to get the files to return to the Project Explorer is to click the down arrow again and select "Deselect Working Set', then all the files return, the ones that are and the ones that are not part of the working set?

I'm not even sure the working sets are what I need right now. What I'm looking for is a way to group projects together in the Project Explorer. For instance, if I'm going through the book 'C++ Without Fear' I would like to create a something in the Project Explorer that would allow me to keep all of my projects from each chapter of that book under one tree in the project explorer. Likewise with another book and maybe I would keep all of my real projects in their own tree under the Project Explorer.

One last thing. When I create project I noticed that Eclipse doesn't automatically create a directory named after the project under your current projects directory. If I have set /home/garrett/Projects/ as my projects directory I would like Eclipse to auto create the directory /home/garrett/Projects/Hello/ if I tell it that Hello is the name of my project. Does this setting exist? If so where can I find it. Thanks for any and all replies.
Re: Working Sets [message #1704227 is a reply to message #1704215] Sun, 09 August 2015 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mickey Mouse is currently offline Mickey MouseFriend
Garrett Gaston wrote on Sat, 08 August 2015 23:02

When I click the down arrow on Project explorer and the select 'Select Working Set', check the desired set and then click okay everything in the project explorer goes away, even the projects that are part of that working set? The only way I'm able to get the files to return to the Project Explorer is to click the down arrow again and select "Deselect Working Set', then all the files return, the ones that are and the ones that are not part of the working set?

Sometimes, I've seen some bizarre malfunctioning as well. But the way you describe, i.e. using the "Select Working Set" window, it always works for me. Be sure that the groups are populated with something (Window -> Working Sets -> Edit -> <select the group> -> Edit -> <check the projects contained>).

Garrett Gaston wrote on Sat, 08 August 2015 23:02

One last thing. When I create project I noticed that Eclipse doesn't automatically create a directory named after the project under your current projects directory. If I have set /home/garrett/Projects/ as my projects directory I would like Eclipse to auto create the directory /home/garrett/Projects/Hello/ if I tell it that Hello is the name of my project. Does this setting exist? If so where can I find it. Thanks for any and all replies.

It should do this by default. The option "Use default location" should be ticked in the window where you create the project.
Re: Working Sets [message #1704237 is a reply to message #1704227] Sun, 09 August 2015 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks. Working Sets is working a little better now. Is there a way to add a project to a Working Set as soon as the project is created? As of right now I'm having to create a project and then select "Edit Working Set' then check the project I want added to that Working Set. I'd like to be able to create a project and have it inside a Working Set from the get go.
Re: Working Sets [message #1704238 is a reply to message #1704237] Sun, 09 August 2015 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Garrett, I am not aware of any way to pick the working set when creating the project. What you are looking would be a legitimate feature though.

MM
Re: Working Sets [message #1704245 is a reply to message #1704238] Sun, 09 August 2015 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So where would I submit that request/idea?
Re: Working Sets [message #1704903 is a reply to message #1704245] Mon, 10 August 2015 14:15 Go to previous message
not sure, I'd guess through bugzilla: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/
Previous Topic:Reset the system include paths
Next Topic:Unable to use custom linker script in Eclipse Mars?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 23:42:36 GMT 2024