Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » External Tool that prompts for input hangs forever without prompt being displayed
External Tool that prompts for input hangs forever without prompt being displayed [message #1704100] Fri, 07 August 2015 10:25 Go to next message
Tobias Langner is currently offline Tobias LangnerFriend
I created a configuration for an external tool that sometimes requires input. In the Common tab, I checked "Allocate console (necessary for input)". When I run the command, the console window stays empty but the command is actually awaiting input, however without the prompt being displayed. When I enter an appropriate input and press enter, the command processes the input and proceeds as normal. However, the output of the command (including the prompt for the input) appears after the input. If I run my command on a normal command line, it properly prompts for input and works as expected.

It feels as Eclipse does not properly flush the output from the external tool into the console and thus the prompt never appears... Is this a known problem?
Re: External Tool that prompts for input hangs forever without prompt being displayed [message #1704111 is a reply to message #1704100] Fri, 07 August 2015 11:16 Go to previous message
Tobias Langner is currently offline Tobias LangnerFriend
I did explore this issue a bit further and it seems that it does not occur if the command that is run directly reads input from stdin (such as `read` in a bash script). In the original use-case, the external tool runs a bash-script which in turn starts a program that then outputs something and reads from stdin. In the latter case, the output of the program is not displayed until after input is sent.
Previous Topic:Using mscorlib.dll
Next Topic:Release and Debug builds
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 23 08:53:48 GMT 2024