Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » General (non-technical) » Eclipse Foundation » Eclipse Licensing
Eclipse Licensing [message #1703265] Wed, 29 July 2015 23:42 Go to next message
Matthew Cahill is currently offline Matthew CahillFriend
Hi guys,

Not really sure where to put this but need help. I have for quite some time used eclipse to program Java and am currently looking sell a game that was made in eclipse. Am I able to see it for whatever price I want? I am aware of the EPL but I do not fully understand this and need it clarifying. If I go down eclipse will it affect my license to the end user?

Thanks in advance
Re: Eclipse Licensing [message #1703327 is a reply to message #1703265] Thu, 30 July 2015 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Moving this to the Eclipse Foundation forum.
Re: Eclipse Licensing [message #1703329 is a reply to message #1703327] Thu, 30 July 2015 16:25 Go to previous message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
I am not a lawyer, so I can not offer legal advise.
f I wrote a program using Eclipse as the IDE, but did not include any EPL-licensed code (that is, any code from Eclipse itself), then I would not feel obligated in any way to the EPL. I interpret Eclipse used only as an editor, compiler, etc tool to produce my code as a non-factor when it comes to licensing.
However, if I wrote a program that directly used/icluded some code or compiled components from an Eclipse.org project, then I would be bound by the EPL.

You can get some pretty good layman explanations about the EPL here: https://eclipse.org/legal/eplfaq.php

Hope this helps,
Eric
Previous Topic:Eclipse account update and Forum historic
Next Topic:Move / Copy an Eclipse project artifact into another project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:43:37 GMT 2024