Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » use parameter to set runtime xlsx report document(passing parameter value to runtime report document name)
use parameter to set runtime xlsx report document [message #1703264] Wed, 29 July 2015 23:22 Go to next message
Jeff Stouse is currently offline Jeff StouseFriend
Thanks in advance,

I'm using BIRT Runtime 4.4.2 with a report design that prompts the user for a value. I want to take the parameter value and pass it to the BIRT Runtime report document name.
For example, if in response to the parameter prompt, the value of the parameter is now "Johnson," then I want that to become the name or the xlsx document that is automatically named/rendered to the default directory - the user doesn't have to do anything after entering the parameter value and hitting enter.
I'm aware of the various script options, but not sure where to place them in the report or what specifically to use in the report string to designate the report document name.
Should I use the afterfactory event to grab the value of the parameter? If so, how do i pass that to something that the report string (url?) on the jsp page will understand?
New to all of this, so as much detail (where you can point me to go, what to read) without having to use Java would be much appreciated.

thanks again,
Re: use parameter to set runtime xlsx report document [message #1704060 is a reply to message #1703264] Fri, 07 August 2015 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone? I would appreciate just a little push in the right direction...running out of what hair I have left...

Thanks in advance...
Re: use parameter to set runtime xlsx report document [message #1704159 is a reply to message #1704060] Fri, 07 August 2015 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jesse Freeman is currently offline Jesse FreemanFriend
The parameters are going to be one of the very first things to get processed.
So, instead of afterFactory, I would grab them earlier on in beforeFactory.

How are you using the runtime?
Are you using a Java application?
The Web Viewer?
Re: use parameter to set runtime xlsx report document [message #1704173 is a reply to message #1704159] Fri, 07 August 2015 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am using the web viewer - and having the user click on a link to launch the report. They enter/select the unique number as the parameter and the report generates the .xlsx report. They then have to select the export option, choose Excel and enter the name and location. I would really like to have them enter the parameter and then be able to specify the report format/file folder and the unique id as the file name as part of the report process. I'm not sure how to pass the report parameter to the file name (or pre-specify the folder name), but I know I can pre-select the output format in the filename string in the web viewer link.

Thanks,
Re: use parameter to set runtime xlsx report document [message #1705186 is a reply to message #1704173] Wed, 12 August 2015 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jesse Freeman is currently offline Jesse FreemanFriend
I'm not sure there is going to be a good way to do exactly what you are wanting from within the report design.

To achieve what you are describing, I think the first step is going to be to create a custom parameters page. From there, you can read their desired output format/location. If it is an excel output, you could then bypass the web viewer and use the BIRT runtime to directly generate an excel output of the report and then initialize a download dialogue of the generated excel output with a default location of the parameter value specified.
Re: use parameter to set runtime xlsx report document [message #1705210 is a reply to message #1705186] Wed, 12 August 2015 20:29 Go to previous message
OK,

So it sounds like a non-programmer like me has some learning to do.

First:
When you say I need to create custom parameters page, you mean that the report parameter option within the report design will capture the information I need, but then I cannot pass that information to the portion of the configuration that specifies the name and file location, so I have to design a custom javascript page that asks for the same information (what is now the report parameter), and also ask for the desired folder location (or just assign a folder location (the location becomes less important if I can rename the report output.)
Second: I need to use the runtime to not use the BIRT web viewer, to generate the excel output? I'm not sure what this means, but if you point me to the documentation on this, I will figure it out... Once the runtime generates the file, I need to...
Third: I need to create a display another HTML page containing: the name of the (Excel) output file (using the inputted parameter in step 1), into the default folder location I have also added.

Am I understanding what is needed? If so, could you point me to the corresponding documentation?

Thanks for all of your help.
Previous Topic:Date function
Next Topic:Excel file name at BIRT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 09:22:33 GMT 2024