Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Hudson » Advice requested: Best route for upgrade from version 2.2.1?
Advice requested: Best route for upgrade from version 2.2.1? [message #1702230] Mon, 20 July 2015 20:28 Go to next message
Matthew Titmus is currently offline Matthew TitmusFriend
Hi all,

I've been asked to upgrade a Hudson server we have running as (a JAR running in Glassfish, on Windows. Yes, I know). The version, however, is quite old (2.2.1) and I'm uncertain as to how best to proceed.

The server is mission critical, and it's really starting to show it's age, so an upgrade is called for, but it's been a very long time between 2.2.1 and the latest and greatest.

Any thoughts and/or advice before I begin?
Re: Advice requested: Best route for upgrade from version 2.2.1? [message #1702377 is a reply to message #1702230] Tue, 21 July 2015 21:40 Go to previous message
Winston Prakash is currently offline Winston PrakashFriend
Hi Matthew, theoretically pointing Hudson 3.3.0 to your production 2.2.1 home should work. Unfortunately practically that may not be the case. I would suggest the following.

- Take a full backup of your Hudson 2.2.1 home
- Start Hudson 3.3.0 with alternate hudson home (make sure it does not use your production 2.2.1 home). Also make sure you use JDK 7 or greater
- Complete the initial setup
- Setup Team Management if you prefer to have fine grained team based authorization
- Install all required plugins (exactly the ones in your production)
- Add couple of slaves to Hudson 3.3.0.
- Create couple of builds and see everything works fine
- Now copy few jobs from your production home to 3.3.0 home and restart 3.3.0 and make sure the jobs builds fine.

If everything woks well for your satisfaction you could do one of two things

- Copy config.xml and jobs directory to Hudson 3.3.0 home (remove both in destination) and restart Hudson 3.3.0 (this is recommended)
- Point Hudson 3.3.0 to your production 2.2.1 home (again make sure you fully backed up the directory first)

Note:

- If you are using JNLP slaves make sure it is restarted with new JNLP from Hudson 3.30 (make sure to use JDK 7 or greater)
- If using SSH slaves, remove slave.jar from slave home and let Hudson re-install the jar
- In both case remove the library caching and maven caching at slave home

Best of luck.

Winston Prakash
Eclipse Hudson team
Previous Topic:Trying to upgrade from Hudson 3.2.2 to 3.3.0
Next Topic:Not able to start Hudson Slave
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 14:01:40 GMT 2024