Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » Multiple product install with shared configuration
Multiple product install with shared configuration [message #1701583] Tue, 14 July 2015 09:24
Pieter-Jan Pintens is currently offline Pieter-Jan PintensFriend
Maybe what we try to achieve is simply not possible. I can get it to work if I make manual modifications but I fear that the resulting setup will fail after an update to the p2 profile (update of a IU or new IU..)

The setup we want to achieve is as following:

--Installation folder, can be written to by administrator (on windows this could be program files for instance), he has p2 tooling that he can use to make modifications to the setup, these tooling will request elevation so it all plays nice.

--Executable come in root
/InstallFolder/Application1.exe
/InstallFolder/Application1.ini
/InstallFolder/Application2.exe
/InstallFolder/Application2.ini
--Configuration folders to which osgi.shared.configuration.area should point in the ini
/InstallFolder/configuration/application1/config.ini
/InstallFolder/configuration/application2/config.ini
--Shared P2 agent with bundle pooling
/InstallFolder/p2/org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine/profileRegistry/application1.profile
/InstallFolder/p2/org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine/profileRegistry/application2.profile
--Bundle Poll
/InstallFolder/artifacts/plugins
/InstallFolder/artifacts/features

The osgi.configuration.area should point to a folder under user.home which we assume is always writable.

The problem is that if we try to enforce this setup by setting the custom configuration folder in the p2 profile (org.eclipse.equinox.p2.configurationFolder) it will always write this folder in the ini file as -configuration {folder}. As a result the launcher ignores osgi.configuration.area in the config.ini or launcher.ini which points to the userhome.

I cannot fill in the user.home in the p2 profile because than other users will not have a working setup. Am I missing something here?

I could manually remove the -configuration after our installer and then the application will work but since the equinox manipulator always seems to load and write this -configuration {folder} if it is not 'configuration' I fear that this will break the setup after one touches the profile to install extra IU's which most of our customers do.

Our current work around is to have each executable in a folder and then the default 'configuration' folder can be used. This feels more like a hack but it works because the -configuration is not written in this case because is it 'configuration'.
Previous Topic:Local p2 update site with relative path
Next Topic:Remove bundle with servlet filter extension leads to Invalid Registry Object Exception
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 07:17:23 GMT 2024