Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Migration Problems - Tips?
Migration Problems - Tips? [message #1699912] Mon, 29 June 2015 08:50
Lolorna Sorglos is currently offline Lolorna SorglosFriend
I'm still working a bit time as C++ Developer. In my Projects we used exclusively Visual Studo as IDE (shame on us, i know)
Now we should switch with our projects to more open source platforms and libraries.
I think its a good idea Smile

Fortunatelly because some autobuild and continious integration purpose we just using cmake as build generator. So the migration to another platform shouldn't that problem, i said Smile

My first look is eclipse with cdt. but I'm running in some problems ....

We just using a fix project directory layout:
It's like:

ProjectDir
- src
- include
- cmake
(-build)
(-bin)

That's what checked in into the source management system.
So the developers checking out the directory, starting cmake with a batch/script, and building a "build/project" directory at the same level of the cmake directory.
this directory is like temporarelly + userdefined and not part of the SCM
typical out of scenario i think.

So I tried to work with eclipse and let cmake build a .project + .cproject file in the build directory.

First, from the build directory there are a lot files displayed directly in the Project because they are in the build dir. If you click them, fancy things are happens, till crashing of eclipse Smile Is it possible to hide this files, aka the content of the whole directory ?

Second, because i changed the output binary location in cmake, Cdt doesn't find the binaries for the run / debug commands Sad
Even if i try to configure it, the result isn't satisfied.
Are there some tips to configure this ?

Third, we have a lot of projects and it looks like there are many thing to do to get a running comfortable project environment. Is there a way to automating this ?
I know .project files and .cproject are XML files, but there is a lot of things in it, that I don't understand Smile So i think it would take a lot of time to create the files themself script / programm based .....

Is Eclipse + CDT even a good choice for this type of out of source build ? Or should we try another IDE ?

Ciao ...
Previous Topic:OS X Deployment
Next Topic:terminated at console with 0x000a6425 printed in red all over.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 09:24:36 GMT 2024