Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Trace Compass » Can't get the custom trace analysis example to work
Can't get the custom trace analysis example to work [message #1699903] Mon, 29 June 2015 07:37 Go to next message
Thomas Nordh is currently offline Thomas NordhFriend
Hi, last week I downloaded trace compass 1.0 and started to experiment with the custom trace analysis that is supported. I have read and followed the instructions in the user guide here:
http://archive.eclipse.org/tracecompass/doc/stable/org.eclipse.tracecompass.doc.user/Data-driven-analysis.html#Data_driven_analysis

My first goal was to get the example to work, so I downloaded the XML-files from the user guide and the xsd-files from the source code, here: org.eclipse.tracecompass.tmf.analysis.xml.core/src/org/eclipse/tracecompass/tmf/analysis/xml/core/module/xmlDefinition.xsd.

I started the stand-alone version of Trace compass and created a new empty project.

The first step I did was to import the XML analysis (xmlanalysis_example.xml), after some struggle with the xsd-files, I finally got it imported and I can see it in the workspace directory .metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.tracecompass.tmf.analysis.xml.core/xml_files.

The second step I did was to open the trace file (trace4xmldoc.xml) and now things starts to go wrong. The xml file was added to my project but only as a "text-file", when I double click it I only get it to open in text mode. I read the user guide again to see if I have missed anything but I could not find anything new. I even read the developers guide to get any clues. After a while I stumble on the custom XML parser, maybe I need that to parse the XML trace file!? I experimented with some different XML parsers that I created and now I can get some data out of the trace XML file and into Trace compass. However the state provider that I imported in the first step does not seem to understand the data coming from my XML parser. So I get no graphs, no histogram, nothing... only the data from the XML trace file is shown.

So, what am I doing wrong? Do I need a custom XML parser to get the example to work? If so, how should it be setup?

Regards
/Thomas
Re: Can't get the custom trace analysis example to work [message #1700028 is a reply to message #1699903] Mon, 29 June 2015 18:22 Go to previous message
Alexandre Montplaisir is currently offline Alexandre MontplaisirFriend
Hi Thomas,

I can confirm the problem you are hitting. The XML test trace does not get recognized at all, and it defaults to Eclipse's basic Open File behaviour. I am not sure if it's because the format definition is missing, or if it's because something prevents the trace type from being recognized. I will open a bug about it.

Thanks for identifying this issue!

In the meantime, if you'd like to experiment with XML analyses, you can also take a look at the example at https://github.com/tracecompass/xml-analysis-example .

Cheers,
Alex
Previous Topic:Kernel trace filtering on CPU field in grid does not work
Next Topic:Fails to install TraceCompass plugins on Luna 4.4.1
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 19:56:42 GMT 2024