Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » System Battery Channel(Why it is not a number)
System Battery Channel [message #1699042] Fri, 19 June 2015 18:26 Go to next message
Smart Home is currently offline Smart HomeFriend
Hi,

Currently the Battery channel is defined as switch. Wouldn't it make more sense for it to be defined as number between 0 to 100? This way binding can also report the exact battery level and not just if the battery is low.

Am I missing something here?

Thx
Re: System Battery Channel [message #1699193 is a reply to message #1699042] Mon, 22 June 2015 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
The reason is that most devices only support some "low-battery" warning and nothing more. Some support maybe 2 or 3 levels, some 4 or 5, but the accuracy might not at all be mappable to a percentage value. Note that it is a "battery channel" and not a "battery level channel" Smile
Re: System Battery Channel [message #1699225 is a reply to message #1699193] Mon, 22 June 2015 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But if you have device that can support number you can not use this channel and you have to define your own channel. On the other hand, if you have a device with only have two levels, the binding can translate the levels to a number.

So by changing it to a number, all binding can use the system channel.

I assume changing the name is the simple part Smile

Re: System Battery Channel [message #1699233 is a reply to message #1699225] Mon, 22 June 2015 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One more issue with the system battery channel:

The channel item type is defined as Switch. As far as I understand, the battery channel is read only, but there is no state description which is attached to it with readonly flag. Am I right?

Re: System Battery Channel [message #1699245 is a reply to message #1699193] Mon, 22 June 2015 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Jackson is currently offline Chris JacksonFriend
Kai Kreuzer wrote on Mon, 22 June 2015 14:04
The reason is that most devices only support some "low-battery" warning and nothing more.

Is that really true?

Certainly, all zwave battery devices, of which there are many, provide a percentage... How accurate it is is a different matter (ie, maybe not that accurate), but it's a lot more useful than a simple binary type.

I would suggest that there should be a battery level in addition to the low battery warning...

Chris
Re: System Battery Channel [message #1699286 is a reply to message #1699245] Tue, 23 June 2015 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
> if you have a device with only have two levels, the binding can translate the levels to a number.

No, because the value would not have any meaning. The opposite is correct: A device that provides a percentage value can be mapped to a Switch by saying when you consider it to be "low bat".

> the battery channel is read only, but there is no state description which is attached to it with readonly flag. Am I right?

I guess you are, so I would consider it as a bug - feel free to enter an issue.

> I would suggest that there should be a battery level in addition to the low battery warning...

Note that all devices are free to offer such a channel - this is the normal case in general. I am VERY reluctant to add new system channels, especially if there is already a more generic one in place (like for the battery).
Re: System Battery Channel [message #1699342 is a reply to message #1699286] Tue, 23 June 2015 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer wrote on Tue, 23 June 2015 10:05
>
> I would suggest that there should be a battery level in addition to the low battery warning...

Note that all devices are free to offer such a channel - this is the normal case in general. I am VERY reluctant to add new system channels, especially if there is already a more generic one in place (like for the battery).

What is the reason for having 'system' channels? In my mind, it's to provide some commonality, so that the UI (and other parts of the system) can treat things in a standard way. If we just say that everyone can create their own channel, then we loose this commonality.

I can understand not wanting to generate loads of channels, and to use a generic channel where possible, but in this case, the channel should be the most generic, so that it's most useful. Applying this to the battery, I would then agree with @Smart Home that the battery should be a number, and not a switch. Then, for the stated majority of devices that only support a battery low indicator, they can set this to 0% or 100%, but for those devices that do support a more detailed reading, it can be used.
Re: System Battery Channel [message #1699362 is a reply to message #1699342] Tue, 23 June 2015 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Clark is currently offline Mark ClarkFriend
I agree with Chris and @Smart Home, battery level should be represented as a Pct value, not a binary "good-bad" style value. If needed, the spec can recommend an interpretation of this value so that folks dealing with Legacy battery devices, that don't support rich usage values, can be appropriately mapped to UI's (and/or simple rule engines)

ie. Above 50% Green
ie. 50% or less Orange
ie. 20% or less Red

My modern devices support a notion of battery level (Phone, Z-Wave devices, My Laptops, iPads) and it's my legacy devices lack this support (my Alarm System's Wireless Zones). For the latter case, I map them to the Battery Level/Pct values to normalize the Rule scripting (at least, that's what I do in my older HA Controller - where it's the UI that simplifies the presentation of this data, not the Data-Model)

The other upside of a Battery-level/Pct is that you often get warning ahead of when the batteries actually need to be changed, and this can be scripted against as well (eg. warning Emails before the "I'm 30 seconds from death" event) Wink
Re: System Battery Channel [message #1699610 is a reply to message #1699362] Thu, 25 June 2015 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Cocula is currently offline John CoculaFriend
I have to agree with Chris and Mark. If you have a good enough reason to impose commonality across all devices with a battery, then settling on percentage is the only real option. Some devices report voltage without documenting what "high" and "low" would be (but some research per device could produce a good-enough answer); others report a percentage (whose meaning may never be precisely known, but good enough for users taking action); and yet others just give "ok" and "replace" indications, completely opaquely. All three could conceivably be represented in a usable way with percentages, but too much information is lost/too many assumptions made by the binding developer if all that is presented are "ok" and "replace" concepts.
Re: System Battery Channel [message #1700610 is a reply to message #1699610] Sun, 05 July 2015 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai,
If I create a PR to change this to a number, would you accept it? I think requiring everyone to implement a battery indicator of their own defeats the purpose of common system channels...

Chris
Re: System Battery Channel [message #1700659 is a reply to message #1700610] Mon, 06 July 2015 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I do not agree to the arguments above. While it is true that a pct value provides many more possibilities for different devices to map into it, it at the same time increases the "fuzziness" of the meaning of this channel. The whole idea of the system channels is that they have VERY CLEAR semantics. A "I'm low on battery" switch channel imho fulfills this requirement: If it is on, you can blink a battery symbol in the UI, you can send a push notification to replace batteries asap, etc. Having a "0%" instead, does not tell me anything specific: Is it 0% because the device can only report ON/OFF and thus maps to 0%? Or is the battery already dead because I did not replace it in time?

Note that the system channels are a lowest common denominator. If a device is battery-powered, it should almost always be able to provide a low-bat information. If it also can report a battery level: Fine, it can have an additional pct channel with #battery tag.

> My modern devices support a notion of battery level (Phone, Z-Wave devices, My Laptops, iPads)

Imho this is not the case for usual HA hardware. If you look at the curve of NiMH batteries (http://www.stefanv.com/electronics/using_nimh/nimh_vs_alkaline.gif), you will see that there is no chance for a simply device to determine any sensible value for its battery level. Only devices with a cpu-powered charging mechanism (like your iPhone) can algorithmically provide this. This again means that the "meaning" of pct values is more like guessing and every device will do it completely differently. The only thing they can REALLY determine is whether they are running low or not.

Just my 2 cents,
Kai
Re: System Battery Channel [message #1700702 is a reply to message #1700659] Mon, 06 July 2015 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The last project team I worked with did extensive work building a product that operated with different battery chem's, so I became familiar with the HW & SW issues.

... and still our device recorded/transmitted it as a percent battery usage (along with raw Volts), and it was the UI that dumbed-down the value for the user, not the internal data model.

It was this difference between battery chem's that triggered us to record the lower level values in order to provide the raw data (V and calibrated %) to enable the customer/user to make decisions based upon their specific deployment needs.

eg. frequency of transmission vs field-deployment lifetime

Internally we experimented with using LiPo vs NiMH vs straight Alkaline's for the core power (backed by super-capacitors) since the device had to run for months on Batteries, and we needed to provide meaningful data to the CT's (as well as internal HW & SW eng)

For field-deployment the device (UI) simplified this by presenting a coloured-LED, at the appropriate time, but the raw (Volt & %) data was bubbled up to the customer for use in their dashboard & alerting (for logistics folks, mostly).

> Imho this is not the case for usual HA hardware.

There have been analog was to do this for a long time, I was doing it as a kid before the chips became available to do it.

IMHO it's more of a question of weather we want software standards built around the lowest-common denominator, or something that'll address a broader requirement.

Unfortunately, the last version of IPSO SO I read didn't cover this [practical] level of measurement, so I don't have a standards body to point to, just the practical examples I see around me.
Re: System Battery Channel [message #1700754 is a reply to message #1700702] Mon, 06 July 2015 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Cocula is currently offline John CoculaFriend
I worry that a binding developer, presented with a voltage or percentage of battery level from a source, will be encouraged to present an "ok/replace" value, when they really have no idea what they're supposed to base it on, and having no access to reliable answers. And so you will end up with bad guesses, all different from one another, per developer.

I also worry, more generally, that a rigid model for things could lead OH2 into a similar place as Vera with their UPnP model, where pre-conceived notions of composite devices and their semantics just doesn't fit the real world very well. This is not to discount all that has been done to avert such a corner, but for example, Vera hurt themselves by making rigid declarations like "all thermostats really only have one setpoint," when in fact it's not true. They broke lots of user-contributed code just for a pretty UI that doesn't work any more. That's all I'll bang on about on this subject, but please don't go there!
Re: System Battery Channel [message #1700757 is a reply to message #1700754] Mon, 06 July 2015 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dennis Nobel is currently offline Dennis NobelFriend
Quote:
IMHO it's more of a question of weather we want software standards built around the lowest-common denominator, or something that'll address a broader requirement.

When building is a smart home system the hardest decision is always on which level to draw the abstraction layer. Of course you could take Number with percentage or even be more precise with voltage. But there are definitely a lot of devices out there, which only provides "low battery" state. If we would decide to take number as the abstraction, what value should these bindings provide? 100% for "no low battery" and 10% for "low battery"? This actually leads to wrong values and wrong expectations. So I agree with Kai, that it makes sense, that the system channel is a boolean only and each binding, that supports more accurate values can make a good decision when to indicate low battery and for sure also define an additional channel with percentage or voltage.

Quote:
I worry that a binding developer, presented with a voltage or percentage of battery level from a source, will be encouraged to present an "ok/replace" value, when they really have no idea what they're supposed to base it on

I´m sure that a binding developer can at least better decide what will be "ok" or "replace" than an average user, if he only sees a voltage value. In my HomeMatic CCU2 I can see a voltage value, but I have really no idea if the battery is fine or not. What Eclipse SmartHome does with all the new APIs is trying to avoid guesses from the user. The system should at least provide the possibility that also unexperienced, non-technical users can use it.

Quote:
I also worry, more generally, that a rigid model for things could lead OH2 into a similar place as Vera with their UPnP mode

Eclipse SmartHome does not define a common model for different devices. It only provides a meta-model, so that each developer or manufacturer can describe their devices. One of the main differences compared to other Smart Home models is, that we don´t have a device ontology. We only provide an abstraction of functionality on a very high level. That´s why you can´t find something like a thermostat, an oven or a lamp in the smart home abstraction model.

Regards

Dennis
Re: System Battery Channel [message #1700761 is a reply to message #1700757] Mon, 06 July 2015 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

you will see that there is no chance for a simply device to determine any sensible value for its battery level

Firstly, this is incorrect. It is possible to establish this with 'some' accuracy - it may not be perfect, but there are plenty of models available to do this without a 'fuel gauge' type system. Measuring and displaying voltage is, I agree, not particularly meaningful, but that's not to say that a reasonable battery capacity can't be established through voltage monitoring.

Secondly, we shouldn't have to decide if a manufacturer is doing a good job of designing their device and providing a 'sensible' value (I would hope most are Smile). I would like to think that manufacturers have spent some time understanding how their device works and are providing information that IS useful to the user. Also, often a manual might explain when to change the battery...

Quote:

Of course you could take Number with percentage or even be more precise with voltage

I don't think voltage would be a good idea! Displaying voltage definately doesn't provide any indication of capacity or life to the user as there are so many battery technologies in use - unless you add a battery model or gauging algorithm behind it the information doesn't equate to life. We should be providing a useful indicator of remaining life - it doesn't necessarily have to be perfectly accurate - just useful. Also, from what I've seen, not too many devices provide a voltage reading - it's more often percentage or some other relative scale...

I log the battery levels on my zwave devices, and in general they are reasonably linear. They do go up and down a little, so they are probably linked to battery voltage, but it's not a direct reading, but a modelled output. Is it accurate - probably not - is it a good representation of life - yes.

Anyway, I get the impression that we're not going to change this. I'm perfectly happy to have a low battery indicator, however I think that as this is common information for battery devices, that an additional system channel should be added. If we leave it to everyone to invent their own channel name, we might have a different one for every binding, and then it's of little use to a UI that might want to display battery state in a consistent way (with a simple gauge icon for example). If system channels aren't meant for common data that would be provided by multiple things/bindings, then I'm not sure of their purpose?

Chris
Re: System Battery Channel [message #1700853 is a reply to message #1700761] Tue, 07 July 2015 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
I agree, not particularly meaningful, but that's not to say that a reasonable battery capacity can't be established through voltage monitoring.

And that's exactly what we did. I referenced Voltage to provide background as to how the % was calculated/derived. I don't suspect it would be exposed to end-users, since it's not that meaningful.

I know people that are using the Battery % values from their HA devices, along with some historical data for that device, to make intelligent decisions about when to change batteries.

In one case it's for their Vacation Property, where they're not present often, in another it's for Managed Rentals. ... But I can also see cases for Managed (Elderly) Care properties.

They avoid the need to know whether level X is good and Y is bad, since they can (and do) interpret the % level based upon historical state information.

This is also important for intelligent homes where the user may not always be present and/or capable of changing out batteries when they bail out.

I've left the house (for travel) only to have the Battery alarm go off on one of my Panel sensors (Paradox Alarm sensors typically go off with <24 hrs of life left). Had I known a relative-battery-level before I left, I would have swapped out their batteries rather than being blind to the issue (motion in the front yard, as it turned out).

People are already used to fuzzy values in this space (Dimmer levels anyone?) I don't think it's an issue when it's intended for intelligent automation.

PS: If we're worried about fuzzy logic, you definitely don't want to look behind the curtains for how folks are calculating their current good/bad indicators Wink
Re: System Battery Channel [message #1700998 is a reply to message #1700853] Wed, 08 July 2015 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think after this discussion you would agree that battery level is a highly debatable and subjective information Very Happy
And even if the devices have good algorithms built in, they cannot know whether the user has put in an Alkaline or NiMH battery - so providing a level ends in guessing. This is exactly the reason why many manufacturers resort to voltage information and leave the interpretation to the user.

Quote:
I think that as this is common information for battery devices, that an additional system channel should be added

I think you might be a bit spoilt by Z-Wave here. I actually do not know any HA protocol where battery level is a standard feature: Not EnOcean, not Zigbee, not Insteon, not Homematic, ... But almost all of them have a low-bat flag.

Regards,
Kai
Re: System Battery Channel [message #1701011 is a reply to message #1700998] Wed, 08 July 2015 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I think you might be a bit spoilt by Z-Wave here. I actually do not know any HA protocol where battery level is a standard feature: Not EnOcean, not Zigbee,

ZigBee uses 4 levels, so not quite 100, but it's significantly better than a single bit... I would also be happy with the approach taken for the signal strength which has 4 levels (or maybe 5) defined in the system channel.

In the case of zwave, there is no signal strength, so I'm not feeling so spoilt anymore... Smile
Re: System Battery Channel [message #1701141 is a reply to message #1700998] Thu, 09 July 2015 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer wrote on Wed, 08 July 2015 14:48
I think after this I think you might be a bit spoilt by Z-Wave here. I actually do not know any HA protocol where battery level is a standard feature: Not EnOcean, not Zigbee, not Insteon, not Homematic, ... But almost all of them have a low-bat flag.

And here's the Battery Level Standard for Bluetooth:

developer.bluetooth.org/gatt/services/Pages/ServiceViewer.aspx?u=org.bluetooth.service.battery_service.xml

(I can't link yet)

It's why my (tiny) FitBit Flex can even tell me what it's battery level is. On the phone, it's quite detailed, while it's (on-device) Led-based UI dumbs that down for the user on the go.
Re: System Battery Channel [message #1701230 is a reply to message #1701141] Fri, 10 July 2015 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alright, so I would suggest to continue this discussion as soon as we have Bluetooth LE support for Eclipse SmartHome Smile
Re: System Battery Channel [message #1701243 is a reply to message #1701230] Fri, 10 July 2015 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Alright, so I would suggest to continue this discussion as soon as we have Bluetooth LE support for Eclipse SmartHome

What about zigbee and zwave?

I'm currently working on the ZWave binding and it would be useful to have the system channel available. Likewise for ZigBee - I've finally got my battery thermometers working properly so will likely add them to the ZigBee binding soon and would also like to be able to use this there...

Cheers
Chris
Re: System Battery Channel [message #1701373 is a reply to message #1701243] Mon, 13 July 2015 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
Likewise for ZigBee

Is this a general feature of ZigBee? I could not find anything like a battery level int he ZCL. Only voltage information is specified there and a low-bat flag for IAS devices.
Re: System Battery Channel [message #1701376 is a reply to message #1701373] Mon, 13 July 2015 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Is this a general feature of ZigBee?

Yes - it's provided by the power descriptor which is mandatory by all nodes. It describes what power they have available (rechargable battery, mains, etc) and has 4 bits for battery level which are (currently) defined as 100% / 66% / 33% / 0%.

Chris
Re: System Battery Channel [message #1701379 is a reply to message #1701376] Mon, 13 July 2015 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well then - if you insist, add a new system channel for the battery level. But I'd really strongly suggest to make it an additional one besides the low-battery channel and not replacing it.

Would that be ok for you?
Re: System Battery Channel [message #1701387 is a reply to message #1701379] Mon, 13 July 2015 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes - a separate channel is fine.

Thanks
Chris
Re: System Battery Channel [message #1702071 is a reply to message #1701387] Sat, 18 July 2015 17:37 Go to previous message
I've submitted a PR for this -:
https://github.com/eclipse/smarthome/pull/390
Previous Topic:Charts/Pictures in OpenHAB2
Next Topic:Making the SmartHome web UI "read-only"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 03:35:51 GMT 2024