Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » Additional features for Hue binding
Additional features for Hue binding [message #1698466] Mon, 15 June 2015 19:24 Go to next message
Dominic Lerbs is currently offline Dominic LerbsFriend
Hello,

I am currently looking into the implementation of additional features for the Hue binding, which are:
- alert (light is performing breathe cycle(s)
- colorloop effect (light will cycles through all hues)
- transition time (Duration of transition between two states)

I know these are probably not important in the current state of this project but they are a good entry point for me to learn more about ESH bindings. If you don't want to be bothered right now with this kind of enhancements, please let me know.

Now my actual questions:
1. What channel would I use for alert? It probably shouldn't be a switch, as it is just a one-time trigger which ends automatically after some seconds. Is there something like a push button (German: Taster) in ESH?
Actually, there are two options for alert: Trigger a single breathe cycle or trigger a 15-second long breathe cycle. The 15-second long breathe cycle can be cancelled by another command.
Is there a button/switch which can automatically be reset to it's default state after a certain time?

2. I can think of two scenarios where the transition time would be used:
- A user wants to overwrite the default transition time (400ms) for one of his lights. Transition time could therefore be a (advanced) property of the bulb thing.
- A user wants to use a custom transition time when triggering a light change from a rule. This probably has to wait until the rule functionality is completely designed.
Is there any objection/concerns if I would already implement the first option (transition time as a thing property)?

Best regards,
Dominic

[Updated on: Mon, 15 June 2015 19:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Additional features for Hue binding [message #1698837 is a reply to message #1698466] Thu, 18 June 2015 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
Hi Dominic,

These features would definitely a nice addition to the Hue binding - and they are also a good test bed where we might still be lacking good concepts and required functionality in the framework.
Let me try to answer your questions:

1. This is definitely a Switch item for me - either the bulb is currently "alerting" or not. If you send the command ON, you activate alerting, with OFF you would stop it (which is ok if this only works for the 15s-mode). The binding itself can send state updates for whether the bulb is currently alerting or not (i.e. send an OFF status after 1 resp. 15 seconds).
You should not confuse the channel type with widget types in the UI. Since the Paper UI currently does not support sitemaps, it is right that it will always render a toggle switch, but you should consider this as a lacking feature of the UI. In the Classic UI you can of course define a single "Alert!" button for the switch item.
To define whether the alerting should be 1 cycle or 15s, this could probably be a configuration parameter on the channel (note that setting these is also not yet supported very well).

2. a) Yes, this would be the simplest - a transition time that is used for all requests to this bulb.
b) This is more complicated since we do not have any parameterized commands, i.e. when sending a new color value as HSB, you cannot additionally give a transition time as a parameter. We could think of allowing a flexible number of color channels, which can have different configurations (so every channel has a configurable transition time). For most cases one additional channel (like a "slow change") would probably be enough.

Best regards,
Kai
Re: Additional features for Hue binding [message #1698924 is a reply to message #1698837] Thu, 18 June 2015 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dominic Lerbs is currently offline Dominic LerbsFriend
Hi,

thanks for your answer.

1. With your explanation I now understand that this should be a switch item. I like the idea that the binding resets the switch after a certain period of time (when the alarm stopped). I guess I'll start with the 15 seconds alarm and then check again what to do about the 1 cycle alarm.

2. a) Ok I'll look into add the transition time as a bulb configuration parameter then.
b) I guess it's best to wait with the "flexible" transition time until ESH provides a proper way to propagate the information. Is there a bugzilla ticket or thread about channel configuration/parameters I could monitor for updates?

Best regards,
Dominic
Re: Additional features for Hue binding [message #1698949 is a reply to message #1698924] Fri, 19 June 2015 06:53 Go to previous message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
2b) No, there is no bugzilla ticket since I am not even sure if we should ever build such a feature. It means making the functional abstraction of ESH very specific to certain products, which is in general not a good thing.
Previous Topic:ButtonItem ?
Next Topic:ConfigDescriptionRegistry retrieval example
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 22:27:30 GMT 2024