Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » windows: git over plink just not working(trying to get a connection to github over plink makes eclipse hang / nothing helps except killing process over task manager)
windows: git over plink just not working [message #1694536] Wed, 06 May 2015 06:23 Go to next message
Silvan Burch is currently offline Silvan BurchFriend
hi guys

me and a group of friends are trying to learn java so we decided to get eclipse and, well, start! Very Happy
in order to be able to share our progress, we created a github account for our code.

now here's the problem: while everyone else can access github over the eclipse-integrated functions (i.e. create keys, connect to github over ssh) it seems not to be possible for me. I'm pretty confident that the problem is my usage of putty/pageant. i looked over the net and found that people most of the time have problems with path variables and key management over pageant which seems not to be my case. I can load the key over pageant and when i check the connection with plink.exe git@github.com I'll get a positive answer.
My problem is that when I enter all the information in eclipse (i.e. ssh://git@github.com:rep-folder/rep-name.git) it just seems to trying to connect but nothings happening ... at all! i can't quit eclipse either during that time and i have to close it over the task manager. also, when restarting eclipse i don't see any errors in the log.

i found out that I can clone a rep with git protocol and when trying to push my changes to the rep it works but again it will hang after that and I can't do anything else than closing eclipse over task manager. so at least I'm pretty confident that i get a connection to github over ssh

i hope you understand my problem ... i'll answer questions to it asap.

thanks for your help and best regards
Re: windows: git over plink just not working [message #1694550 is a reply to message #1694536] Wed, 06 May 2015 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Salvo Rapisarda is currently offline Salvo RapisardaFriend
hi,

i have the same problem!
I'm usign:
* Windows 8 64-bit edition
* Eclipse Luna SR2 (4.4.2)
* EGit plugin 3.7.1.201504261725-r

Thanks,

Salvo.
Re: windows: git over plink just not working [message #1695132 is a reply to message #1694550] Tue, 12 May 2015 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
You can use git over ssh from Eclipse without using any additional native tools like putty/pageant.
Follow [1] to configure ssh keys in Eclipse.

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/User_Guide#Eclipse_SSH_Configuration
Re: windows: git over plink just not working [message #1696080 is a reply to message #1695132] Thu, 21 May 2015 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Salvo Rapisarda is currently offline Salvo RapisardaFriend
I think that I found the issue for my case.

In my computer I have installed TortoiseSVN and in the environment variables there is a GIT_SSH variable that is set with a version of plink under TortoiseSVN directory.

Removing this variable I solved my problem.

Salvo.
Re: windows: git over plink just not working [message #1697144 is a reply to message #1696080] Mon, 01 June 2015 21:55 Go to previous message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Yes, if GIT_SSH is configured JGit will use this configuration.
Previous Topic:How to import sources from local repository into GitHub ?
Next Topic:Maven using JGit to release project within Eclipse -JGit status failure!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 16:00:56 GMT 2024