Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » exporting Thing properties to the (userspace) runtime
exporting Thing properties to the (userspace) runtime [message #1694515] Tue, 05 May 2015 21:13 Go to next message
Karel Goderis is currently offline Karel GoderisFriend
I have hardware that is generating a lot of data that should go into Thing properties instead of being exposed to Channels. However, for some of them I would still be relevant to show them in a GUI (other than the advanced PaperGUI), e.g. openHAB iOS client.

Question: is there, or will there be, another way to achieve that other than using a Thing->Channel->Item linkage?
Re: exporting Thing properties to the (userspace) runtime [message #1694517 is a reply to message #1694515] Tue, 05 May 2015 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dennis Nobel is currently offline Dennis NobelFriend
With the current architecture it not possible. Items can only be linked to channels or things. We can think about introducing additional link types, if that makes sense. But I think it should be up to the application to define where properties should be shown. The Paper UI will show thing properties as part of the thing detail view in the future.
Re: exporting Thing properties to the (userspace) runtime [message #1694556 is a reply to message #1694517] Wed, 06 May 2015 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Jackson is currently offline Chris JacksonFriend
Karel,
I'm just interested why this would be better configured as a properties rather than a channel? I've not looked at detail at properties, but my understanding is that anything that's (let's say) dynamically changing probably should be allocated to a channel, and properties are completely static. To complete the picture parameters are half way between the two being configurable.

As I say, I've not looked at properties in any detail, but it's interesting to hear your use case.

In zwave, there are device configuration parameters which while they are configuration parameters can sometimes be used to control things through a rule, so in the OH1 binding I have the ability to link these parameters to items. My use case for properties is only static configuration, so maybe my understanding is wrong...

Cheers
Chris
Re: exporting Thing properties to the (userspace) runtime [message #1694594 is a reply to message #1694556] Wed, 06 May 2015 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karel Goderis is currently offline Karel GoderisFriend
The use case is the Tesla Model S binding

The car exposes a lot of data via REST, a lot of it is relevant, but quite a few datapoints are static, e.g. mostly related to the configuration of the car. So things like it's color, the rims of the car, whether a panoramic roof etc are present will be static. But on the other hand, take a configuration element for example that indicates the presence of a rear/front seat heater? well, that would be interesting to expose to the OH runtime as I can image Rules where based on the time of day and time of year, the seat heater will be switched on so that my butt will not freeze off when I leave home in the winter. Wink

It's just a question.
Re: exporting Thing properties to the (userspace) runtime [message #1694698 is a reply to message #1694594] Thu, 07 May 2015 08:51 Go to previous message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
Karel,

if I understand you correctly, your "properties" are static, i.e. they will not change on the Thing and thus you also do not need any update events or similar for this. If this is correct than you should definitely add this information as a property.
Wrt using these properties: In the rule engine, I definitely foresee having access to things and their properties - so it will be possible to use this information within rules.
For existing UIs: I would see this as a requirement for the "new" sitemaps (see https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/1064113/) that you can also add information from things to your pages.

Best regards,
Kai
Previous Topic:Persistence
Next Topic:Configuration 'actions'
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 01:47:05 GMT 2024