Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » Email Thing(Binding for email sending?)
Email Thing [message #1694069] Thu, 30 April 2015 10:57 Go to next message
Smart Home is currently offline Smart HomeFriend
Hi,

I want to add the option to send emails from the application. Will it make sens e to have a binding that will expose email capabilities (for now sending only, maybe receive in the future) and use the email thing as an item in the application?

Thx
Re: Email Thing [message #1694071 is a reply to message #1694069] Thu, 30 April 2015 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
No, this imho does not fit into the idea of a binding - so far, there is the action concept for this (see also https://github.com/openhab/openhab/wiki/Actions). But e-mail functionality might also be relevant in the context of a general notification infrastructure, see https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=434010.

Regards,
Kai
Re: Email Thing [message #1694074 is a reply to message #1694071] Thu, 30 April 2015 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai,

As far as I can see, action doesn't exists in SmartHome Eclipse (Should have been located under bundles/action in openHAB 1). Am I right? This is probably why I've missed this option.
Re: Email Thing [message #1694080 is a reply to message #1694074] Thu, 30 April 2015 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Found it in the scriptengine, my mistake Crying or Very Sad
Re: Email Thing [message #1694084 is a reply to message #1694071] Thu, 30 April 2015 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
No, this imho does not fit into the idea of a binding

Lets assume that you have a siren device within your home alarm system that can be controlled. I assume that this siren device will be connected using a binding. In this case Siren device can be an item (At least as I see it).

So what is the difference between email and siren? Both are used for notification.

I know it is not straightforward to think of an email as a Thing but maybe it can give some functionality to the system which is not well understood now.

Well, at least this is my point of view.
Re: Email Thing [message #1694426 is a reply to message #1694084] Tue, 05 May 2015 09:02 Go to previous message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
I think there are three different concepts that we need and which will overlap to a certain extend:
1. Things
2. Notifications / Alarms (see https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/1065848/)
3. Rule Actions (see https://github.com/openhab/openhab/wiki/Actions)

I would see email functionality as an action, i.e. a "general service" that can be used within automation rules.
With a special configuration (e.g. a text template for the mail to be sent), such an action can be used for notifications. Similarly, Things can have functionality (=channels) that can be used for notifications.
I would like to have notifications as a concept of its own in order to allow easier configuration possibilities for the user, e.g. defining how certain events should be treated (e.g. use SMS for all severe things).

How this looks in detail, we will still have to work out, but this is the vision that I have for it.

Best regards,
Kai
Previous Topic:ThingStatus
Next Topic:<item-type> vs ModelItemType
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 08:47:30 GMT 2024