Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » Tags and Groups?
Tags and Groups? [message #1691983] Sat, 11 April 2015 12:47 Go to next message
Chris Jackson is currently offline Chris JacksonFriend
I'm just wondering what the difference between tags and groups is. It seems tags are another type of group - presumably they are intended for a different use?

From what I can tell in the PaperUI, tags are used for UI related functions, while groups are more 'functional' - grouping of items into things, or things into rooms etc...

Is there anything that provides a quick overview on this. Are we free to use the two as we like, or is there some guidance available?

Chris
Re: Tags and Groups? [message #1692283 is a reply to message #1691983] Tue, 14 April 2015 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dennis Nobel is currently offline Dennis NobelFriend
Hi Chris,

in general a tag is just a string which can be added to a thing for "tagging" or "labeling" it with something. So the framework does not clearly define, for what it should be used. It is similar to a blog, where you can have arbitrary tags for a post. Tags might be put by users or by solutions.

Actually the Paper UI does not use or support tags at all. It uses the ThingSetupManager which adds tags to Items, to identify them as a 'thing', or 'channel'. But these tags are not evaluated in the UI.

If you want to support tagging in HABmin you should be free to use it.

Regards

Dennis
Re: Tags and Groups? [message #1697056 is a reply to message #1692283] Mon, 01 June 2015 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dirk Stueben is currently offline Dirk StuebenFriend
Hi Dennis,

I have a related questation about channel groups, are they supported in the paper ui?
Currently I have a channel group type with several channel elements. if I use the group they do not appear in the paper ui control screen, if I use the channels directly in the thing they appear in the paper ui control in the way it was expected.

Best regards from Leer

Dirk

[Updated on: Mon, 01 June 2015 09:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Tags and Groups? [message #1697102 is a reply to message #1697056] Mon, 01 June 2015 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dennis Nobel is currently offline Dennis NobelFriend
Hi Dirk,

unfortunately the Paper UI does not support channel groups at the moment. For a complete list of known limitations of the Paper UI please look here: https://github.com/openhab/smarthome/blob/master/docs/sources/addons/paperui.md#known-limitations.

Regards

Dennis
Re: Tags and Groups? [message #1697201 is a reply to message #1697102] Tue, 02 June 2015 12:02 Go to previous message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
Chris,

just some additional info: You are right that in general groups and tags can be used for similar use cases.
For me, the main difference is this:
- Groups are individually defined by the user - they can have any name and any special meaning to them. And yes, they are "functional" in a way that they themselves support commands and have states.
- Tags were introduced to carry some semantics in future. My plan is to have some tag libraries defined within ESH that define some meaning that apps (be it bindings, rules or other extensions) can rely upon. Something like "presence" or "security". Such tag libraries could also be external ontologies, see e.g. my comment at https://github.com/openhab/openhab2/issues/257#issuecomment-107656613 for HomeKit.

As long as we do not have tag libraries in ESH, I actually suggest not to use tagging even though technically this is available in ESH.

Regards,
Kai
Previous Topic:New Rule Question
Next Topic:Confusion about ThingHandlerFactory
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 04:35:30 GMT 2024