Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » OM2M » OM2M & oneM2M(Understanding the similarities and differences between these architectures.)
OM2M & oneM2M [message #1691396] Tue, 07 April 2015 03:35 Go to next message
David Antliff is currently offline David AntliffFriend
I understand that OM2M is currently implementing the ETSI M2M standard, and that it is a project goal to eventually implement the oneM2M standard too.

There seem to be a lot of concepts shared by these two architectures, which makes sense as the ETSI M2M architecture was a key precursor to oneM2M. With no oneM2M implementation to explore at the moment, I'm trying to get a hands-on understanding of oneM2M concepts by observing how OM2M works. so having a way to understand where they share common concepts, or part company, would be really useful.

I am familiar with both the ETSI and oneM2M architecture documents - comparing these directly is a difficult task and requires detailed knowledge of both. So does anyone know of any existing documents that outline the key differences between OM2M/ETSI M2M and oneM2M?

How does the OM2M project intend to support both standards simultaneously?
Re: OM2M & oneM2M [message #1691624 is a reply to message #1691396] Wed, 08 April 2015 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Francois AissaouiFriend
Hello David,

As you said, the ETSI M2M architecture and the oneM2M architecture share common concepts concerning resources, some communication protocols, etc. Unfortunately, there is no document that highlights the differences between them.

However, the OM2M team is currently working on the oneM2M documents to provide a new version of the platform that will implement the new standard.

But, the platform will not handle ETSI M2M and oneM2M at the same time, there will be two versions completely separated.
The last release, version 0.8.0, supports the ETSI M2M. This version is going to be updated among time with feature enhancement and bug fix but will keep the ETSI M2M compliance.

We are currently working on the new version, the 1.0.0, that will support the oneM2M standard but it will no longer support ETSI M2M. Even if the architectures have similarities, they are different (no more collection object for instance) and can not be integrated in a single platform.

In a nutshell, if you want the last version of OM2M with ETSI standard compatibility, you have to checkout the last 0.8.x version. The version 1.x.x and more will handle the oneM2M standard.

François

[Updated on: Thu, 16 April 2015 08:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: OM2M & oneM2M [message #1691672 is a reply to message #1691624] Wed, 08 April 2015 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello François, thank you for your reply. I look forward to seeing the outcome of the planning you mention. Do you have any thoughts on when such documents might be available for review?

Does the OM2M team plan to eventually support the full Release 1 specification, including device management?

Are you aware of any accessible oneM2M implementations, or partial implementations? I did come across the IoTDM sub-project of Open Daylight, however it was not clear to me how to use this to explore a oneM2M implementation due to significant mismatches between their code and their documentation, which made it difficult to understand the context of their implementation.

Are you aware of any online forums for people considering oneM2M to discuss the architecture?

Re: OM2M & oneM2M [message #1691689 is a reply to message #1691672] Thu, 09 April 2015 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
While on the topic of oneM2M - does Mahdi's first example here where a resource URI is automatically retargeted to an existing HTTP application have some sort of equivalence in oneM2M? The only "retargeting" I could find in the oneM2M spec is related to Notification Retargeting. This makes use of an "Application Entity Point of Access", which sounds like it may be similar to an "Application Point of Contact", but it looks like they are not the same.

This automatic re-mapping of a resource to an external HTTP URI seems very useful - if oneM2M can support this, it makes it easier to interface a oneM2M system with existing services. If oneM2M does not support such automatic remapping, in what ways can an application provide a synchronous bridge between a CSE and an external HTTP service?

[Updated on: Thu, 09 April 2015 05:23]

Re: OM2M & oneM2M [message #1692501 is a reply to message #1691689] Thu, 16 April 2015 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahdi Ben Alaya is currently offline Mahdi Ben AlayaFriend
Hello David,

We are not sure yet about all the features to be included in the next OneM2M release (OM2M 1.0.0). But our goal is to provide a full implementation of the standard step by step through several releases.

Regarding device management, support for the LightweightM2M protocol can be integrated in the OM2M 1.1.0 release. We will try to publish a detailed roadmap as soon as possible.

Open Daylight provides an open source implementation of SDN. In addition, it will include a mapping to interface with the OneM2M standard. As far as I know, this is the role of IoTDM, I did not heard about a full oneM2M implementation.

Actually, the OneM2M architecture is mainly discussed in the OneM2M mailing lists, web meetings, and face-to-face meeting which are accessible only for OneM2M members.
But, we can create a dedicated topic in our Eclipse Forum like this one to discuss in details the OneM2M architecture, interfaces, bindings, etc.

OneM2M supports re-targeting as the same way as ETSI SmartM2M.
- In MCC interface: re-targeting between CSEs using a "CSE Point of Access" (CSE-PoA)
- In MCA: re-targeting from CSE to AE using an "Application Entity Point of Access" (AE-PoA)

Mahdi

[Updated on: Mon, 20 April 2015 02:49]

Re: OM2M & oneM2M [message #1692818 is a reply to message #1692501] Sun, 19 April 2015 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Mahdi,

I think a oneM2M-specific forum hosted here would be a great idea.

The AE-PoA looks like it might be similar to SmartM2M's Point of Contact, but it only appears in the oneM2M architecture specification under the section "Notification Re-targeting". I find this a bit worrisome as it suggests that it might only include retargeting for Notification requests (say, as a result of a subscription), and not include general retargeting for CRUD requests. General CRUD is not explicitly excluded, but I can't see it being included either. If you have the time, can you take a quick look at section 9.3.2.3.1 in TS-0001 and confirm that this does provide the same level of support as SmartM2M, please?

Re: OM2M & oneM2M [message #1692824 is a reply to message #1692818] Mon, 20 April 2015 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello David,

In OneM2M, notification retargeting is not necessary a result of subscription. It can be done simply by sending a NOTIFY request to an AE including an AE-PoA.
The notification representation is designed to be general. In fact, it contains a tag called "m2m:operation" that informs about the corresponding CRUD method.
I agree with you that this is not a good REST practice since the verb is stored inside the resource representation. Thus, I am sure I will keep direct CRUD retargeting in the OM2M implementation Wink

By the way, to make your scenario working with native OneM2M, you have to use an interworking proxy that creates an AE resource in the local CSE by setting the interworking proxy id as AE-PoA.
Then, any NOTIFY request coming to the AE will be re-targeted to the interworking proxy. This notification is in reality implemented as a simple library call.
Now, the interworking proxy can read the "m2m:operation" tag from the received notification and so send the right CRUD request to the corresponding device.

[Updated on: Mon, 20 April 2015 03:31]

Re: OM2M & oneM2M [message #1697120 is a reply to message #1691624] Mon, 01 June 2015 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ampholyte Ampholyte is currently offline Ampholyte AmpholyteFriend
Francois Aissaoui wrote on Wed, 08 April 2015 14:27

We are currently working on the new version, the 1.0.0, that will support the oneM2M standard but it will no longer support ETSI M2M. Even if the architectures have similarities, they are different (no more collection object for instance) and can not be integrated in a single platform.

François

Hello François and Mahdi,

I am interested in knowing how is the migration possible from the ETSI M2M architecture that supports the resource structure of object collection to a oneM2M architecture that does not support it. Can you explain to me where exactly the difference lies or indicate to me some key words to do research on this subject?

Thank you.
Re: OM2M & oneM2M [message #1698585 is a reply to message #1697120] Tue, 16 June 2015 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Fatima,

The main differences between the SmartM2M and OneM2M architectures are:
- OneM2M defined a new node called MN-CSE (Middle Node CSE) also called Transit-CSE for multi-hop communications. So, a more advanced routing mechanism is required here to re-target the request from a node to another.
- OneM2M introduced two new types of requests called "Non blocking Synchronous request" and "Non blocking Asynchronous request". The Non blocking mode is useful when the request execution time is long so an application can chose to retrieve the response later by sending a separate request (Non blocking Synchronous) or to simply be notified when the result is ready (Non blocking Asynchronous).
- A new interface called mcn is also defined to handle the communication between a CSE and an Underlying Network.
- MQTT communication binding is provided.
- LightweightM2M device management is supported as well.
- The "collection" resource is removed from oneM2M. The main idea here was to reduce the size of the URI. Personally I am not happy with this alternative. I believe that "collection" is a pattern for RESTful architecture. Without collections the migration becomes difficult and implies an important change in all resource structures. That's why we decided to develop OneM2M as a new project.

Have a good day

[Updated on: Tue, 16 June 2015 14:21]

Re: OM2M & oneM2M [message #1711249 is a reply to message #1691396] Wed, 14 October 2015 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vijayalakshmi Subramanian is currently offline Vijayalakshmi SubramanianFriend
Hi Mahdi/François,

Lately, I've been going through the OM2M and OneM2M documents and was wondering if there is any place where these two standards have been compared, specifically based on their capabilities. Also, I'd like to know if the early versions of ETSI M2M ( prior to OM2M - 0.8.x ) are available.

Thanks,
Vijayalakshmi
Re: OM2M & oneM2M [message #1713360 is a reply to message #1711249] Tue, 03 November 2015 14:52 Go to previous message
Francois AissaouiFriend
Hello Vijayalakshmi,

Sorry for the late reply.
Right at the moment we do not have document that compare the two standards but we are planning to provide a quick migration guide from the version 0.8 to 1.0 of OM2M after the 1.0 release.

Regards,
François
Previous Topic:Question about APoCPath
Next Topic:Missing plugins
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 01:19:52 GMT 2024